Skip to main content

The {Real, Raw} Truth About {Living With} SAD

Today I am having a bad day. It didn't start out so bad. Although when I woke up later than I thought it was it didn't help. I took a double dose of my anxiety med and thought I would be good to go. The sun is shining and it's in the mid 60s, the first time I have experienced such a thing in January! I had some things to get done today and anxiety wasn't getting in my way. I got to where I needed to be and completed new hire paperwork. I then had to have my picture taken for my ID badge. Looking at that picture is what sent me in my downward anxiety spiral. I looked fat, ugly, gross. My hair looked like a mess even though I tried to make it NOT look so. And now, here I am. Things like that don't typically trigger my anxiety so quickly and fiercely. That is when I remember that it is, in fact, winter. And even though I am living some where with warmer climate and more sunshine I still have S(easonal)A(feective)D(isorder) Here are the real, raw, hard truths about SAD and what it does to me.

Even though this happens to me every single year it seems to come out of nowhere. As if it's the first time it's ever happened to me before. Therefore it takes me by surprise, catches me off balance, and leaves me breathless, anxious, depressed, gasping for hair and reaching for a hand up.  When SAD makes it's appearance the follow emotions wiggle their way into my life, brain, and heart; anxiety (obviously), depression (duh), FEAR, anger, and a straight up negative attitude about everything. A feeling of being non existent fills me and convinces my brain that I simply do not matter. TO ANYONE.

What's (most) frustrating about SAD is knowing deep, DEEP, down inside of me I am a person full of joy, happiness, smiles, giggles, ideas, compliments, and ambition to do it all.

Although I torture Matthew with being cranky, moody, sad, irritable, and try to blame him for literally everything that goes wrong he is my soft landing place. When I simply cannot take anymore and I collapse into bed with my head under the covers he is right there making sure I am comfortable and doing whatever it takes to make sure I stay comfortable (pizza in bed happens during the winter a lot..) I can't count how many times I have ended up in the fetal position (with or without tears) in my bed yelling, screaming, kicking, hating everything and he is as close or as far as I want him to be. I trust him with my whole entire being to take care of me and keep me safe while letting me be. I can throw things at him, yell at him, tell him I hate it and guess what? He responds with an "I love you", and if I let him, a bear hug. How did I get so lucky to have my rock, best friend, husband, and partner in crime rolled up into one human being?! (And why can't that be enough for my brain to quit acting like it does?!)

When SAD hits me, it hits hard. The thoughts that run through my brain some of these days that I suffer most are things that would scare even me if I said them out loud. I try to keep normal routine and add in more daytime activity, use my sun lamp in the mornings (which....I left in SoDak while I'm here in TX), do things on the weekends when weather permits, surround myself with people more frequently that I prefer, exercise (usually the hardest one to NOT keep up with), and simply remind myself everyday that it will be okay, I will be okay, and the season will pass before I know it. Feeling so depressed, anxious, scared, angry, you name it, for so many consecutive days is draining on a person physically and mentally. Getting out of bed gets harder, accomplishing job tasks while at work are challenging, faking a smile can be painful, and the thoughts swirling around in my head can take my breath away and leave me in tears at the drop of a hat. It sucks. It hurts. It ends.

I know SAD won't drift too far from me this winter but a huge reason Matthew and I decided on Texas for our next move was the year long warm weather and sunshine. To me sunshine isn't so useful if you can't be outside and enjoy it, or open your window to let the warm air in. Maybe next year SAD will hit me less like a ton of bricks and more like a pile of leaves! My ultimate goal is to be prepared when seasons change and living in South Dakota I just couldn't do that. I hope living here with less drastic changes will assist me with preparing. I don't see myself ever living without anxiety right around the corner so the better I am prepared to run into it, the easier it is for me to cope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost.

Life lately has been hard. I had a rough week and it seems to have carried through the weekend as well. I hate to even admit that because I'm trying to make some changes in my brain. I'm trying to hammer out what a bad day really is. I'm trying to learn what makes a bad day in Meghan's world. I've been down on myself lately and I don't even understand why. Nothing has changed. My anxiety is constant and I feel like I don't even remember what it's like to not be hyper vigilant. I am in this state of constant worry with "what ifs" running rampant in my brain. It's been having difficulty concentrating on my job, being present in conversations, and even caring about myself in general. I've been irritable and tired.  I just haven't been myself and because I don't know what the real issue is I don't know what to do to bring myself back. I'm stuck. I'm full of doubt and worry and none of it is worth the time I spend thinkin

Whatever Happened to Respect?

I've been thinking a lot lately. Shocker, I know. A friend of mine reached out to me a few months ago about my blog. He talked to me about how he had been tossing around the idea of starting a blog. I asked him what he wanted to write about. His reply really shocked me. He told me he often keeps his opinions to himself and is a "people pleaser" during conversations to avoid any arguments or disagreements between him and his friends. He told me that if his friends knew what his real thoughts and feelings on different topics were they would be really surprised. I was shocked! I didn't think he was one to just go with the crowd. I explained to him that I thought that was a great thing to write about and how I have worked my way out of being that same way. We talked about how keeping our mouth shut doesn't do any good in the long run and eventually it starts to really wear on a person to feel like they can never voice their opinion without feeling like your friends wi

i Don't Know How To Do This

Grieving is not something I have ever been good at. It's not that I haven't suffered any loss in my life, because there has certainly been plenty (even one loss is plenty, honestly) it's something else that I can't quite put my finger on. I am fortunate in that I haven't lost a person in my life, in the sense that they are no longer physically alive, in quite a few years. The last people I did lose were older relatives, which I think is different than someone you were close to on a work and personal level. So, here I am trying to figure out how to grieve the very sudden and even more tragic loss of the closest co worker I've probably ever had in Austin. And I don't know how to grieve her loss. She was in a tragic accident on Sunday, and her name was released yesterday afternoon. It was her and her daughter in her vehicle and neither of them survived. Christa was such a bright and happy person. Sure she was 20 years older than me but our connection was perf