Skip to main content

A Small Town Girl Living a Big City Life

I grew up in a town of barely 1,000 people. I never left the Midwest, Sioux Falls is the biggest city I ever spent any real amount of time in, and our family vacations were usually to The Black Hills. Now here I am, a small town girl living a big city life, and I LOVE IT!

I love everything about Austin. I love this city that seems to never sleep. The window in the room I am calling mine faces the major interstate that runs through town and the sound of traffic seems to lull me to sleep each night. I love weather here and the abundance of sunshine. I am (probably) one of few who absolutely loves gray and rainy days but the seemingly unending sunshine has been good for my soul. The green grass instead of brown (or white!) in January makes me smile and I have only had to wear my winter coat one time since arriving in my new city. I came in knowing traffic would be worse so even when traffic is backed up and it takes an hour to get to work I don't panic. I just turn up the music or call someone on the phone. Everything I have done has been a positive experience for me. I have gone outside of all things comfortable to me and become a big city girl. I have done things by myself that even shock me. I am using my GPS less and just driving around to get lost instead. I take time to look around at my surroundings and am constantly making mental notes of places I want to go when my love finally joins me.

This enormous leap of faith that I took has taught me so much about myself already. It has shown me that anxiety does not have to (and will not) keep me from living my life and doing what I want to do. It has forced me to put myself out there and be who I am without paying any attention to what others think. As much as I hate that Matthew and I didn't come down here together I really think that me being so "outgoing" would not be the case had we come together. And I don't think outgoing is really the word, it's more of me just putting myself out there and doing things even though I am alone. Now, I am not always alone of course. Most of the things I am referring to were during the first 2 weeks I was here and hadn't started working. And things that will continue once I get into our own place!

This is so ironic to me that I am adjusting so well down here. I honestly have adjusted better here than I did when we moved from Aberdeen to Sioux Falls. That makes zero sense to me. I have had a couple of days, hours, even minuets of super high anxiety but I have worked through those. I have used my coping techniques and worked through those times coming out on top. I'd be lying if I said everything was perfect but I can promise you that I am doing good. I am okay, better than okay, for the first time in what feels like forever. I am preparing myself for the worst though, because I know myself well enough to know that I will not get through this long distance marriage without at least one major mental breakdown, and ya know what? That is okay, too. Denying that it won't happen will only make it worse.

So I leave you with this...// and then I realized adventures were the best way to learn //:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost.

Life lately has been hard. I had a rough week and it seems to have carried through the weekend as well. I hate to even admit that because I'm trying to make some changes in my brain. I'm trying to hammer out what a bad day really is. I'm trying to learn what makes a bad day in Meghan's world. I've been down on myself lately and I don't even understand why. Nothing has changed. My anxiety is constant and I feel like I don't even remember what it's like to not be hyper vigilant. I am in this state of constant worry with "what ifs" running rampant in my brain. It's been having difficulty concentrating on my job, being present in conversations, and even caring about myself in general. I've been irritable and tired.  I just haven't been myself and because I don't know what the real issue is I don't know what to do to bring myself back. I'm stuck. I'm full of doubt and worry and none of it is worth the time I spend thinkin

Whatever Happened to Respect?

I've been thinking a lot lately. Shocker, I know. A friend of mine reached out to me a few months ago about my blog. He talked to me about how he had been tossing around the idea of starting a blog. I asked him what he wanted to write about. His reply really shocked me. He told me he often keeps his opinions to himself and is a "people pleaser" during conversations to avoid any arguments or disagreements between him and his friends. He told me that if his friends knew what his real thoughts and feelings on different topics were they would be really surprised. I was shocked! I didn't think he was one to just go with the crowd. I explained to him that I thought that was a great thing to write about and how I have worked my way out of being that same way. We talked about how keeping our mouth shut doesn't do any good in the long run and eventually it starts to really wear on a person to feel like they can never voice their opinion without feeling like your friends wi

i Don't Know How To Do This

Grieving is not something I have ever been good at. It's not that I haven't suffered any loss in my life, because there has certainly been plenty (even one loss is plenty, honestly) it's something else that I can't quite put my finger on. I am fortunate in that I haven't lost a person in my life, in the sense that they are no longer physically alive, in quite a few years. The last people I did lose were older relatives, which I think is different than someone you were close to on a work and personal level. So, here I am trying to figure out how to grieve the very sudden and even more tragic loss of the closest co worker I've probably ever had in Austin. And I don't know how to grieve her loss. She was in a tragic accident on Sunday, and her name was released yesterday afternoon. It was her and her daughter in her vehicle and neither of them survived. Christa was such a bright and happy person. Sure she was 20 years older than me but our connection was perf