Skip to main content

Spyglass Drive

Well Wrigley and I have spent two nights in our new home. Just me and him. I'd say all in all it has been an success. It's a bit awkward not having any furniture and I feel terrible for Wrigley having to be yanked out of so many surroundings and thrown into something new. I know he has spent a lot of time making circles in the living room looking for someone else, or his friend Henry! I spent this morning unpacking my clothes (until I ran out of hangers) and trying to make it as homey as possible to convince him that this is our permanent home, we aren't uprooting again!

If you saw pictures of not only our front and back door views, but of the actual complex you would not imagine that we live in such a big city. The place is surrounded by woods behind us and there are so many old trees that accompany the walking paths that go around the entire property. There is a sand volleyball court and outdoor work out equipment. The pool area is amazing and Wrigley will come to love the Bark Park. Suffice it to say, I made a good choice.

This transition has not come without tears. The first night I got everything out of my car, got Wrigley settled down, put some pizza rolls in the oven, and then sat down and the waterworks were flowing. I cried and I cried, and I cried some more. I don't even know what I was crying about, except for that the stress was above what I could handle. And other stupid things like, hanging up the shower curtain and the tension rod fell on my head. I didn't sleep at all that night. Wrigley and I both woke up to every little new sound. I was so frustrated that I didn't even blow up the air matters I am borrowing, I just made a floor bed and called it good.

Today I have taken Wrigley for about 3 walks around the buildings and noticed that there are many young folks and most, if not all, have dogs! I sure hope we can make some friends here! I also watched a few episodes of Homeland and took a nap. Wow, I don't remember the last time I took a nap. I am currently camped out (OUTSIDE IN MY SHORT SLEEVES AND FLIP FLOPS!!) at a Starbucks using their internet and exploring my surroundings. I even got sucked into buying Girl Scout Cookies (but hey, I deserve them!). My next order of business is going to be a pharmacy (wow, I sound old), and then probably a bar for a Lone Star (my new favorite brew) before going home for the night...to do some more Homeland binge watching.

I can't decide if this disconnection from the world is good or bad for me and my introvert tendencies and anxiety or if it is good for me to unwind, relax, and keep my brain clear. Having to find somewhere to use internet kind of forces me to at least get out of the house even if I sit alone and people watch. At least I am not inside of the walls of our empty apartment. And if I have the energy to actually leave and not mope then I think it's good for me. (see:daily brain wars of Meghan) When the moving truck arrives on Thursday I will have plenty of things to do to keep myself busy in the evenings.

I hope I am over the worst slump I've been in since leaving, but per usual I won't get my hopes up. I will keep my guard up and try to be pro active rather than re active. It's a new accomplishment for me to be able to recognize my decline before I hit the bottom so it's something to keep in the front of my mind and keep working on.

As for now, I am going to finish doing some online shopping, continue to explore, and then go home to my very confused puppy!

OH! If anyone wants to send me mail (I love mail!) I would love to give you my address. I also love to send mail, so if I have your address (I sadly lost all of the ones I did have..) you can expect return mail, or a surprise!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost.

Life lately has been hard. I had a rough week and it seems to have carried through the weekend as well. I hate to even admit that because I'm trying to make some changes in my brain. I'm trying to hammer out what a bad day really is. I'm trying to learn what makes a bad day in Meghan's world. I've been down on myself lately and I don't even understand why. Nothing has changed. My anxiety is constant and I feel like I don't even remember what it's like to not be hyper vigilant. I am in this state of constant worry with "what ifs" running rampant in my brain. It's been having difficulty concentrating on my job, being present in conversations, and even caring about myself in general. I've been irritable and tired.  I just haven't been myself and because I don't know what the real issue is I don't know what to do to bring myself back. I'm stuck. I'm full of doubt and worry and none of it is worth the time I spend thinkin

Whatever Happened to Respect?

I've been thinking a lot lately. Shocker, I know. A friend of mine reached out to me a few months ago about my blog. He talked to me about how he had been tossing around the idea of starting a blog. I asked him what he wanted to write about. His reply really shocked me. He told me he often keeps his opinions to himself and is a "people pleaser" during conversations to avoid any arguments or disagreements between him and his friends. He told me that if his friends knew what his real thoughts and feelings on different topics were they would be really surprised. I was shocked! I didn't think he was one to just go with the crowd. I explained to him that I thought that was a great thing to write about and how I have worked my way out of being that same way. We talked about how keeping our mouth shut doesn't do any good in the long run and eventually it starts to really wear on a person to feel like they can never voice their opinion without feeling like your friends wi

i Don't Know How To Do This

Grieving is not something I have ever been good at. It's not that I haven't suffered any loss in my life, because there has certainly been plenty (even one loss is plenty, honestly) it's something else that I can't quite put my finger on. I am fortunate in that I haven't lost a person in my life, in the sense that they are no longer physically alive, in quite a few years. The last people I did lose were older relatives, which I think is different than someone you were close to on a work and personal level. So, here I am trying to figure out how to grieve the very sudden and even more tragic loss of the closest co worker I've probably ever had in Austin. And I don't know how to grieve her loss. She was in a tragic accident on Sunday, and her name was released yesterday afternoon. It was her and her daughter in her vehicle and neither of them survived. Christa was such a bright and happy person. Sure she was 20 years older than me but our connection was perf