Skip to main content

Fire Away/Update

This morning I was on my way to work and the local radio station was talking about a new song and music video by Chris Stapleton. They had a brief conversation about the powerful message of the video and how it relates to mental illness. When I got to work I watched his video and was blown away. This is definitely an amazing song with an incredibly powerful message.

Until I met Matthew I had walls up and I was guarded. I didn't share my depression with anyone because nobody believed me. I was always, always, ALWAYS told that I had plenty to be happy about and to "cheer up". Well I tried to "cheer up". I knew I had plenty to be happy about in life. Until I didn't. Until Matthew I didn't have anyone to listen to me. I didn't have anyone willing to listen to me non judgmentally and let me just tell him my story. It wasn't because he didn't have anything in his own life to deal with, but (and it took me a long time to see it) it was because he truly cared about me as a person and as a friend. He didn't want me to hold my feelings inside. He wanted to know everything there was to know about me.....for the most part. He wanted to know what made my gears go.  He wanted to know why and how my heart was so recently shattered when we met. He wanted to know about my family, my job, my friends. He wanted to know anything that I was willing to tell him. And he never once judged me. He never told me I was stupid for feeling the way I did. He never questioned why I thought I was depressed or anxious. He never laughed when I told him about my therapy. He held me when I cried. He left me alone when I pushed him away. He always came back. I tried so hard to push him away because I had no idea why someone as nice as him would want anything to do with me. Why would he care about my feelings? Why would he want to hang out with someone who felt so sad all of the time? Why would he drop what he was doing to just be with me? Why would he EVER in a MILLION YEARS, want to love me?

The better question was....why wouldn't I let him? I wouldn't let him in for quite a few months because I was so scared. I knew that he was friendly, that he enjoyed my company, that he did take interest in what I had to say, but for some reason I still didn't quite trust him. I tried to sabotage any chance I had with him and it didn't work. Eventually my heart said yes. He told me all of the time that he was never going to leave me, and so far he hasn't, even when I've done all but force him out. He lets me fire away until I am completely out of ammo, and then he helps me reload he keep firing. He doesn't care (usually...) if I am mad at him for something he didn't do, if I'm mad at my mom, my dad, my co worker, the neighbors, or myself. He lets me blow until I am out of steam. And then he brings me back to reality. Nobody in my entire life has ever been that person for me. I have some people who I can call and vent to, but not the way I can with Matthew. And at the end of the day there's no saying when those people are going to walk away and not come back. Matthew has seen me at my worst and he has gotten me to my best. He doesn't care what diagnosis the mental health doctors give me, he doesn't care how much the meds cost as long as they work, he doesn't care what I rant about, how often I cry for no reason, if I can't get out of bed and face the day, if I don't want to be in public anymore, if I'm overwhelmed and have to leave...he doesn't care about any of that. He cares about me and my feelings, even when I fail to realize it. He has a bullet proof vest that he wars daily and for that I am thankful. I don't know how I got so lucky, but I thank God that he gave me someone so strong.

***************

Update from yesterday's blog post:

I didn't irrationally write that post. I was upset over what had occurred for 24 hours and decided if I was still upset then it was worth a write. What happened afterwards proved a few of my points. If you are somehow who reads my blog regularly and thinks to yourself "wow, I wonder if everything is okay", here is a tip: REACH OUT! I don't write my blog to scare anyone, and when going back to read my most recent posts I truly didn't find any of it to be "scary". If you know me well, if you talk to me often, if you have a vested interested in me and my life, that nothing that I have posted should scare you. I have been in a HUGE life transition the past two months so it shouldn't really be much of a shock to people that I have struggled a little bit here and there. I have bad days, and I know my bad days can be worse than other people's bad days, but we are all entitled to them. They are a part of life. I share my life with anxiety with the small percent chance that maybe it will help someone who thinks they may also have anxiety or can at least understand where I am coming from. I don't do it for any other reasons than that, and my own. It is a coping skill I have come to love. Keeping things inside isn't good for me, writing them is therapeutic, and if nobody is able to read what I write then I don't feel like it helps. What I do ask is if you take it upon yourself to read this blog I pour my heart into, do not judge me. Do not judge my life, my coping skills, or tell me that I need to do other things to cope. I know me the best, which means I know what I need and what works. Everyone is different. I am always open to suggestions, but  before anyone suggests something to someone living with mental illness, you need to know what they have done, what they currently do, and what has been tried and failed. Shooting off your opinion is not okay. It's insulting and it's hurtful. Just my food for thought today.

P.S. I do not bite. =)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

i Don't Know How To Do This

Grieving is not something I have ever been good at. It's not that I haven't suffered any loss in my life, because there has certainly been plenty (even one loss is plenty, honestly) it's something else that I can't quite put my finger on. I am fortunate in that I haven't lost a person in my life, in the sense that they are no longer physically alive, in quite a few years. The last people I did lose were older relatives, which I think is different than someone you were close to on a work and personal level. So, here I am trying to figure out how to grieve the very sudden and even more tragic loss of the closest co worker I've probably ever had in Austin. And I don't know how to grieve her loss. She was in a tragic accident on Sunday, and her name was released yesterday afternoon. It was her and her daughter in her vehicle and neither of them survived. Christa was such a bright and happy person. Sure she was 20 years older than me but our connection was perf

Word Vomit

This world and the people in it have gotten so.....delusional. Somewhere along the line people forgot that kindness is free. I'm not talking about helping someone who can't reach the top shelf at the grocery store (although this is something I often do!), or holding the door (common decency) but the kindness that comes along with listening to people who have different opinions than your own. Treating them with respect even if you don't agree with what they're saying. Not making assumptions based on what someone does or does not do. And quite frankly, I'm tired of it. Perhaps I'm in the minority with my thoughts and opinions and morals and beliefs, but even so I shouldn't feel so afraid or sharing them. I try to keep my mouth shut and my thoughts to myself to avoid being attacked by the keyboard warriors, but I realize that this is part of the problem. As tired as I am of the news and the debates and arguments and name calling and judging over COVID 19, BLM,

Lost.

Life lately has been hard. I had a rough week and it seems to have carried through the weekend as well. I hate to even admit that because I'm trying to make some changes in my brain. I'm trying to hammer out what a bad day really is. I'm trying to learn what makes a bad day in Meghan's world. I've been down on myself lately and I don't even understand why. Nothing has changed. My anxiety is constant and I feel like I don't even remember what it's like to not be hyper vigilant. I am in this state of constant worry with "what ifs" running rampant in my brain. It's been having difficulty concentrating on my job, being present in conversations, and even caring about myself in general. I've been irritable and tired.  I just haven't been myself and because I don't know what the real issue is I don't know what to do to bring myself back. I'm stuck. I'm full of doubt and worry and none of it is worth the time I spend thinkin