Skip to main content

One Quarter



It's hard to believe that I have lived in Austin for 3 months already. Or....one quarter of a year! I moved here before the end of 2015 and here we are, almost on the fourth month of this new year already. I wish I could remember when time started to go so fast!

It has been an incredible three months. I survived the biggest challenge in the entire transition which was living apart from Matthew for 10 weeks. I learned that while I didn't (always) feel brave, I am in fact brave, and I think I surprised nearly everyone with how well my big leap went. I didn't just live without Matthew for several weeks, I survived. I had to find a new home, start a new job, learn an entirely new city, manage to be on the receiving end of the move and unpack alone without going completely in sane. While I had my days and my moments, I do believe I came out of all of that a stronger person.

There is an entirely new meaning to happy in my vocabulary. And that is my life in Austin. Matthew and I sit and talk all of the time about how happy we are and how we feel so much better since being in Austin. We enjoy everything here, jobs included. Getting up in the morning is a much more relaxed process. I don't have to drag myself out of bed and dread what I will walk into once I hit the office door. I wake up much more rested (usually) than I ever did before. I know that if it's going to be a bad day that it isn't going to be my job's fault. I can roll with the punches, which is not something I was ever good at before, much better than I gave myself credit for. I enjoy every second of my weekends, we have so much fun no matter what we do. Maybe part of that is not having a couch for us to camp out on all weekend......ha! We were happy before, but mostly we were just content.

I still have some pretty awful days when it comes to my mental health and I am still trying to figure out what exactly is causing them. I still have panic attacks and feel like I'm completely exhausted for no reason. These  periods of time seem to be shorter but darker for me. Instead of being a rough week or two where things just seem hazy and like I am going through the motions of the day, they are periods of a day or two, maybe three. They are heavy, they are dark, and they are exhausting. I have to pick my feet up one at a time, I have to fake a smile, I have to tell myself that it's okay, that I am fine, and that tomorrow will be better. I have to tell Matthew the truth about how terrible I feel. I have to be left alone, sometimes. I have to convince myself that the world isn't ending, I didn't do anything "wrong', and that I am not "weird". A lot of times when something happens (like the panic attack I had at the grocery store last week......) I say "I wish I was normal". It's not the right thing to say and normal is non existent, so why do I say it?

 I don't know why God chose me to have the brain in my head that I do, but I won't give up on it and I won't stop being an advocate for others with mental health diagnosis. I also know that I could have all of the money in the world, live in a mansion, have my dream job and dream family, and still have GAD and have these terrible dark times. It is possible to be over the moon happy with life, and still have panic attacks and bad days. Mental Illness does not discriminate and it doesn't care who or what you are. The trick is not letting it win.



This view never gets old.

Easter was also the first holiday I was away from home and virtually did nothing to celebrate. Matthew and I talked about going to get Easter brunch somewhere but we didn't. We didn't even try to find a church, which is un usual for us. Instead it was a normal Sunday for us. We took Wrigley to get groomed, ran errands, and saw a movie. We enjoyed maneuvering the city with no traffic. We skyped with our families. He let me have a mental break and take a nap on the floor. (I literally told him I needed a break..) We made supper and stayed up past our bedtime watching a show together. We had a good day, but it didn't feel like Easter. Or any holiday, or anything other than Sunday. I hope all holidays away from home won't feel this way.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost.

Life lately has been hard. I had a rough week and it seems to have carried through the weekend as well. I hate to even admit that because I'm trying to make some changes in my brain. I'm trying to hammer out what a bad day really is. I'm trying to learn what makes a bad day in Meghan's world. I've been down on myself lately and I don't even understand why. Nothing has changed. My anxiety is constant and I feel like I don't even remember what it's like to not be hyper vigilant. I am in this state of constant worry with "what ifs" running rampant in my brain. It's been having difficulty concentrating on my job, being present in conversations, and even caring about myself in general. I've been irritable and tired.  I just haven't been myself and because I don't know what the real issue is I don't know what to do to bring myself back. I'm stuck. I'm full of doubt and worry and none of it is worth the time I spend thinkin

Whatever Happened to Respect?

I've been thinking a lot lately. Shocker, I know. A friend of mine reached out to me a few months ago about my blog. He talked to me about how he had been tossing around the idea of starting a blog. I asked him what he wanted to write about. His reply really shocked me. He told me he often keeps his opinions to himself and is a "people pleaser" during conversations to avoid any arguments or disagreements between him and his friends. He told me that if his friends knew what his real thoughts and feelings on different topics were they would be really surprised. I was shocked! I didn't think he was one to just go with the crowd. I explained to him that I thought that was a great thing to write about and how I have worked my way out of being that same way. We talked about how keeping our mouth shut doesn't do any good in the long run and eventually it starts to really wear on a person to feel like they can never voice their opinion without feeling like your friends wi

i Don't Know How To Do This

Grieving is not something I have ever been good at. It's not that I haven't suffered any loss in my life, because there has certainly been plenty (even one loss is plenty, honestly) it's something else that I can't quite put my finger on. I am fortunate in that I haven't lost a person in my life, in the sense that they are no longer physically alive, in quite a few years. The last people I did lose were older relatives, which I think is different than someone you were close to on a work and personal level. So, here I am trying to figure out how to grieve the very sudden and even more tragic loss of the closest co worker I've probably ever had in Austin. And I don't know how to grieve her loss. She was in a tragic accident on Sunday, and her name was released yesterday afternoon. It was her and her daughter in her vehicle and neither of them survived. Christa was such a bright and happy person. Sure she was 20 years older than me but our connection was perf