Skip to main content

My Quest and How [I Though]t It Broke Me

My dream has always been to become a licensed social worker. Well, not always but since I got done with college at 2010.. I tried to get into one grad school and was not accepted so I pushed my dream aside. I decided it was probably too hard anyways, and if I didn't get in right away that maybe I wasn't cut out for that. The thought would cross my mind every once in awhile but I never did anything about it, except think about it.

Fast forward to last fall. I was sick of rejection letters from jobs I applied or interviewed for, I was tired of being a substitute teacher because my anxiety won 9 out of 10 times and I wasn't really bringing in any money anyways. I finished the process I started with asking for reference letters and completing the application. My goal was to send in my application before the end of the year. The end of the year came and went. The new year came and went, I still had the application and hadn't kept up on asking for my reference letters. In March I finally had everything together and I mailed everything off. I waited, and waiting, and waited. And then I sent an email asking for the update on my application and their [ the Board of Social Workers] was that I actually qualified for a higher licensure than what I applied for so I needed one more letter and some more money before they could actually approve anything. Alright! A higher level is awesome! So, I sent a few emails requesting an extra letter and mailed the extra money that same day. I was grinning from ear to ear the whole way to the mail box!!!

Fast forward again past the official acceptance letter and the prep course I took in Omaha in April. My goal was to take the class [in April] and the exam in May. Like we all know all to well, life happened and I didn't take that exam in May. Here's what only a handful of people know. I took that exam in August. On August 8th I walked into the exam center with my head held high, my anxiety under the best control I've ever had it for such a stressful situation, and I was ready to become a licensed social worker. But I didn't. I failed that exam. I used all but about 30 minuets of my allotted time for that exam. And I failed. My dreams were gone in the blink of an eye. I didn't tell anyone that I didn't pass, unless they asked me how it went (remember only a handful of people knew I was even taking the exam). I got a lot of "well, you'll pass next time", and "that's not so bad for being out of school for so long", and "it's okay"s thrown in my face. Which, I know there isn't much else TO say to someone whose dreams were crushed, was there? I was told I could test again in 90 days. August, plus 90 days put me to November.

On that day in that test room November felt like a lifetime away. I thought to myself....well I will buy some better study materials, study for 3 months, and be OVER prepared for when November comes. Wrong, again! It's October 22nd today and other than purchasing a new study manual two weeks ago and flipping through it I have not studied. Who thought November would come so quickly? Not me!

I was very upset for a few weeks about my failure. I was mad at myself, thought I was stupid, I wasn't cut out for this work, blah blah blah. What I didn't realize is that I AM cut out for this work. I AM meant to be a licensed social worker, even it if takes me another go around at that testing center. So what? Not everyone accomplishes their goals the first time they try. If anything else the past three months have given me more drive to accomplish this dream of mine and make a difference.

I thought my quest to become a social worker broke me, but it didn't. It's not over yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

i Don't Know How To Do This

Grieving is not something I have ever been good at. It's not that I haven't suffered any loss in my life, because there has certainly been plenty (even one loss is plenty, honestly) it's something else that I can't quite put my finger on. I am fortunate in that I haven't lost a person in my life, in the sense that they are no longer physically alive, in quite a few years. The last people I did lose were older relatives, which I think is different than someone you were close to on a work and personal level. So, here I am trying to figure out how to grieve the very sudden and even more tragic loss of the closest co worker I've probably ever had in Austin. And I don't know how to grieve her loss. She was in a tragic accident on Sunday, and her name was released yesterday afternoon. It was her and her daughter in her vehicle and neither of them survived. Christa was such a bright and happy person. Sure she was 20 years older than me but our connection was perf

Word Vomit

This world and the people in it have gotten so.....delusional. Somewhere along the line people forgot that kindness is free. I'm not talking about helping someone who can't reach the top shelf at the grocery store (although this is something I often do!), or holding the door (common decency) but the kindness that comes along with listening to people who have different opinions than your own. Treating them with respect even if you don't agree with what they're saying. Not making assumptions based on what someone does or does not do. And quite frankly, I'm tired of it. Perhaps I'm in the minority with my thoughts and opinions and morals and beliefs, but even so I shouldn't feel so afraid or sharing them. I try to keep my mouth shut and my thoughts to myself to avoid being attacked by the keyboard warriors, but I realize that this is part of the problem. As tired as I am of the news and the debates and arguments and name calling and judging over COVID 19, BLM,

Lost.

Life lately has been hard. I had a rough week and it seems to have carried through the weekend as well. I hate to even admit that because I'm trying to make some changes in my brain. I'm trying to hammer out what a bad day really is. I'm trying to learn what makes a bad day in Meghan's world. I've been down on myself lately and I don't even understand why. Nothing has changed. My anxiety is constant and I feel like I don't even remember what it's like to not be hyper vigilant. I am in this state of constant worry with "what ifs" running rampant in my brain. It's been having difficulty concentrating on my job, being present in conversations, and even caring about myself in general. I've been irritable and tired.  I just haven't been myself and because I don't know what the real issue is I don't know what to do to bring myself back. I'm stuck. I'm full of doubt and worry and none of it is worth the time I spend thinkin