Skip to main content

An Open Letter to Anyone Who Wants to Read It

While I don't believe that I should have to defend myself and my anxiety, I do understand that there A LOT of people in this world, and in my life, who do not understand anxiety, depression, and mental illness in general. Family and friends alike. This is for you.

Dear whoever is reading this,

I have General Anxiety Disorder. I have depression. I am a functioning human being. I lived several years of my life hiding my anxiety disorder and they were miserable years. Let me explain my life with anxiety to you.

Just because I have anxiety doesn't mean I am not happy. In fact I am happy a majority of the time. Do I fake my smile sometimes? Yes! I absolutely fake it until I make it some times. And  you know what? That is okay! Not everyone is 100% happy 100% of the time. Having depression doesn't make me sad all of the time either. You can be depressed and still be happy, I am. So please, just because I have these terrible things going on in my brain  at times does not mean I am not happy.

There are so many times that I make plans with people and literally have to force myself out the door to go. Sometimes I want noting more than to be at home, in my comfortable surroundings, with myself, my puppy, and my husband. I want to be where I don't have to talk to anyone if I don't want to, I can talk to myself, or I can even cry if I need to. Sometimes I need some coaxing to even commit to the plans. That does't mean that I don't [ever] want to make plans or go do fun things. I always want to have fun, get together with people, and be anxiety free. So please, keep inviting me out and know that I always do my best to show up, always.

It's not too often that I cancel plans. But if I don't show up, or if I cancel late minuet because I don't feel good, 95% of the time I don't feel well mentally. While I try my damnest to fight every battle in my mind I don't always win. It has nothing to do with YOU. I don't back out of things intentionally or to be mean. Sometimes I just simply cannot do it and I know that going would be worse for me than just staying home. It doesn't happen often, but when it does I know I need to listen to my gut and simply take care of me.

If I get quiet during a conversation I am most likely having a panic attack. I have them often but they typically are not noticeable. I know so many people who think panic attacks are this big, huge production. And they aren't, at least not for me. I have friends who have major panic attacks and friends who, like me, have them silently. That doesn't mean they aren't serious. Some of my panic attacks are debilitating. Just as others who suffer out loud when panic sets in. When I tell you I just had, or am currently, having a panic attack, don't ask why. Nine out of ten times I have no idea myself why I am having one.

I am tired, all of the time. Not because I am lazy [although that is probably partially the reason, ha!] but because being anxious for no [obvious] reason, having panic attacks, a racing mind, and maybe even feeling sad nearly every single day is down right exhausting. There are days I struggle to get out of bed. Those days are the worst because I know my anxiety is going to be high[er]. There are weekends it takes me until the middle of the afternoon to even shower or change my clothes to leave the house. There are days I go home from work and immediately put on my pajamas. When I get home from work it is nearly impossible to get me to leave again [unless it's planned ahead of time, like work]. I am NOT lazy. I am mentally exhausted, sometimes even physically, just from surviving a day. This isn't a daily thing. There are days I have more energy than I know what to do with. There are days I get home from work and accomplish 10 tasks before I sit down for the night. There are days I get an urge to leave the house at 7 or 8 at night just to "get out of the house". The problem is I never know how exhausted I will be day to day.

I live my life the best I know how, fighting, kicking, screaming, and winning. I never have to worry about fighting these battles alone, because my husband is my rock, and he ALWAYS brings me back to reality, always.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost.

Life lately has been hard. I had a rough week and it seems to have carried through the weekend as well. I hate to even admit that because I'm trying to make some changes in my brain. I'm trying to hammer out what a bad day really is. I'm trying to learn what makes a bad day in Meghan's world. I've been down on myself lately and I don't even understand why. Nothing has changed. My anxiety is constant and I feel like I don't even remember what it's like to not be hyper vigilant. I am in this state of constant worry with "what ifs" running rampant in my brain. It's been having difficulty concentrating on my job, being present in conversations, and even caring about myself in general. I've been irritable and tired.  I just haven't been myself and because I don't know what the real issue is I don't know what to do to bring myself back. I'm stuck. I'm full of doubt and worry and none of it is worth the time I spend thinkin

Whatever Happened to Respect?

I've been thinking a lot lately. Shocker, I know. A friend of mine reached out to me a few months ago about my blog. He talked to me about how he had been tossing around the idea of starting a blog. I asked him what he wanted to write about. His reply really shocked me. He told me he often keeps his opinions to himself and is a "people pleaser" during conversations to avoid any arguments or disagreements between him and his friends. He told me that if his friends knew what his real thoughts and feelings on different topics were they would be really surprised. I was shocked! I didn't think he was one to just go with the crowd. I explained to him that I thought that was a great thing to write about and how I have worked my way out of being that same way. We talked about how keeping our mouth shut doesn't do any good in the long run and eventually it starts to really wear on a person to feel like they can never voice their opinion without feeling like your friends wi

i Don't Know How To Do This

Grieving is not something I have ever been good at. It's not that I haven't suffered any loss in my life, because there has certainly been plenty (even one loss is plenty, honestly) it's something else that I can't quite put my finger on. I am fortunate in that I haven't lost a person in my life, in the sense that they are no longer physically alive, in quite a few years. The last people I did lose were older relatives, which I think is different than someone you were close to on a work and personal level. So, here I am trying to figure out how to grieve the very sudden and even more tragic loss of the closest co worker I've probably ever had in Austin. And I don't know how to grieve her loss. She was in a tragic accident on Sunday, and her name was released yesterday afternoon. It was her and her daughter in her vehicle and neither of them survived. Christa was such a bright and happy person. Sure she was 20 years older than me but our connection was perf