Skip to main content

The Reason

For some reason people have this idea that unless you have a "reason" to be sad, or depressed, you shouldn't be. There is this idea that in order for someone to have mental health issues they have had to have some major, traumatic event happen in their life. Not true. While I have lead a fairly good life in my 28 years on Earth, I have had my fair of struggles. Is there one major life changing event that triggered my problems? Not that I am aware of. I still have both of my parents alive and well, both of my siblings around to drive me crazy, I've never been in any type of major automobile accident, broken any bones or had any major surgeries, etc etc.  Does that make my anxiety and depression "made up", or "exaggerated". ABSOLUTELY NOT! While a lot of people that live with mental illness may have had one or more of these terrible things happen to them, that doesn't mean it's true for everyone. My anxiety is just as real and present as someone who is anxious because they were once in a bad car accident. My depression can be just ass deep and painful as someone who is grieving the loss of a loved one. Is it the same type of depression? Probably not, but what does that matter? What matters is, like I've said before, anxiety and depression do not discriminate. If doesn't matter why or how someone has a mental illness, what matters is how they live their life in the face of adversity.

 I once told my co worker that I was doing acupuncture for stress and anxiety, and her response to me was "oh yeah, because your life is so hard!" It hurt my feelings when she said that. I never said my life is hard, I said I was stressed out and anxious. That doesn't automatically translate to "hard life". What she didn't know was all of the sleepless nights, all of the tears, and all meltdowns I had on a regular basis. What she couldn't see was the pain and loneliness that sometimes hid behind my smile and bubbly personality. What she didn't know was my history with depression and suicide. I have never once told someone they didn't have a reason to feel the way they do. I am one of the most empathetic people I know. I might think (and usually tell them, depending on how well I know them) they can do more to help themselves, and I might think they use it for an excuse often, but I NEVER believe people don't have a "reason" to feel the way they do. 

In fact, I would say the biggest tragedy in my life is my anxiety. Today I went to the doctor for my yearly check up and had to tell him my history (we moved, new doctor) and it broke my heart to sit there in his office, happy as a clam and tell him about this anxiety that is trying to work it's way back into my daily life, and ask him for a refill on my PRN meds because I am starting a new job on Monday that has me nervous out of my mind.  

Here's hoping the weekend leading up to my new adventures is a good one!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost.

Life lately has been hard. I had a rough week and it seems to have carried through the weekend as well. I hate to even admit that because I'm trying to make some changes in my brain. I'm trying to hammer out what a bad day really is. I'm trying to learn what makes a bad day in Meghan's world. I've been down on myself lately and I don't even understand why. Nothing has changed. My anxiety is constant and I feel like I don't even remember what it's like to not be hyper vigilant. I am in this state of constant worry with "what ifs" running rampant in my brain. It's been having difficulty concentrating on my job, being present in conversations, and even caring about myself in general. I've been irritable and tired.  I just haven't been myself and because I don't know what the real issue is I don't know what to do to bring myself back. I'm stuck. I'm full of doubt and worry and none of it is worth the time I spend thinkin

Whatever Happened to Respect?

I've been thinking a lot lately. Shocker, I know. A friend of mine reached out to me a few months ago about my blog. He talked to me about how he had been tossing around the idea of starting a blog. I asked him what he wanted to write about. His reply really shocked me. He told me he often keeps his opinions to himself and is a "people pleaser" during conversations to avoid any arguments or disagreements between him and his friends. He told me that if his friends knew what his real thoughts and feelings on different topics were they would be really surprised. I was shocked! I didn't think he was one to just go with the crowd. I explained to him that I thought that was a great thing to write about and how I have worked my way out of being that same way. We talked about how keeping our mouth shut doesn't do any good in the long run and eventually it starts to really wear on a person to feel like they can never voice their opinion without feeling like your friends wi

i Don't Know How To Do This

Grieving is not something I have ever been good at. It's not that I haven't suffered any loss in my life, because there has certainly been plenty (even one loss is plenty, honestly) it's something else that I can't quite put my finger on. I am fortunate in that I haven't lost a person in my life, in the sense that they are no longer physically alive, in quite a few years. The last people I did lose were older relatives, which I think is different than someone you were close to on a work and personal level. So, here I am trying to figure out how to grieve the very sudden and even more tragic loss of the closest co worker I've probably ever had in Austin. And I don't know how to grieve her loss. She was in a tragic accident on Sunday, and her name was released yesterday afternoon. It was her and her daughter in her vehicle and neither of them survived. Christa was such a bright and happy person. Sure she was 20 years older than me but our connection was perf