Skip to main content

Transition Back to Reality

When I leave my daily life behind to go on a vacation for any length of time the transition back is typically pretty brutal. If the vacation involved seeing or being with my family I have separation anxiety to contend with on top of the other anxieties that come with transition and change. Being my first time back to South Dakota in 11 months I was gearing up for the worst. Typically we get back from our vacations later in the day, not leaving us with a lot of time to get unpacked and settled back in before diving back into the daily grind. I mentally prepared myself for what I assumed was going to be a no good, rotten day. With our flight getting back into Austin before 12n that meant we had an entire day to do our thing before reality hit us the next day. Knowing this, and being completely exhausted from traveling, I didn't let myself rest. We immediately went to get Wrigley from being boarded at our Vet and it was the sweetest reunion ever. We have never boarded him before and when I asked them how he did they told me he was very sad. That broke my heart because that is exactly what I feared. He was SO happy to see us. Kisses and nips and lovins all over the place for hours. When we got him home and reassured that we weren't leaving him I got to work on unpacking. What a damn task that is these days. I did multiple loads of laundry and other household chores that I neglected to do before we left. And then I napped. When I woke up I felt the same as I did when I fell asleep. Tired. Not sad, not in tears, not having an anxiety attack. Just plain tired. I didn't put a lot of thought into it because I was still convinced that all of that was coming.


Here is where I explain, in short, why I was dead set on crashing and burning upon my return home to Austin. At my therapy session the week before I left my therapist told me that he couldn't treat me anymore. He didn't believe that my diagnosis of anxiety was correct (a conversation we had a couple of weeks prior) and that his approach was not appropriate for what he felt my real diagnosis was. I was heart broken, to say the least. My heart was ripped out of my chest and shattered. I cried in his office more than I talked that day. I was so confused. I didn't understand. This was not a  topic of conversation that was even on my radar and I did not see it coming. Knowing that I didn't have a therapy appointment scheduled with him for my return is what kept my anxious mind believing I wasn't going to be okay. He promised to call me the day after I got back to check in and discuss things a little more. He never called. That's when the resentment came. The email he sent the following morning regarding my care is when the anger came.  In between this last session with him and my trip home I had a brief moment of bravery and called a new psychologist to schedule an initial appointment. That appointment happened on 12/1/16. That's the day it all started to slowly fall down. I felt tired and lethargic. My energy level was below zero. I had racing thoughts going well over the speed limit. I was really struggling to focus on anything. I was apprehensive, nervous, scared, (still) confused, pissed off, and sad. I had no closure from someone who it took me months to build rapport with, trust, and feel safe in his presence. And there I was, in a strange office with a strange person expected to start all over as if nothing had happened. I got a few answers out of that first session, and I did go back for another one. I still have apprehension, I'm still trying to go through the stages of grief (don't laugh, it's real) from losing someone, and I am fighting like hell to not re build the guard I had FINALLY broken through.


My downer days didn't last nearly as long as they typically do. That is how I know I have made some progress in the last six months. I was able to pick myself up and adjust back into my routine much easier than normal. I still have a lot to process and accept with this new phase of recovery, and that will take time. I'm trying to be okay with that.




                                   Try not to resist the changes that come your way. Instead let life live through you. .....:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost.

Life lately has been hard. I had a rough week and it seems to have carried through the weekend as well. I hate to even admit that because I'm trying to make some changes in my brain. I'm trying to hammer out what a bad day really is. I'm trying to learn what makes a bad day in Meghan's world. I've been down on myself lately and I don't even understand why. Nothing has changed. My anxiety is constant and I feel like I don't even remember what it's like to not be hyper vigilant. I am in this state of constant worry with "what ifs" running rampant in my brain. It's been having difficulty concentrating on my job, being present in conversations, and even caring about myself in general. I've been irritable and tired.  I just haven't been myself and because I don't know what the real issue is I don't know what to do to bring myself back. I'm stuck. I'm full of doubt and worry and none of it is worth the time I spend thinkin

Whatever Happened to Respect?

I've been thinking a lot lately. Shocker, I know. A friend of mine reached out to me a few months ago about my blog. He talked to me about how he had been tossing around the idea of starting a blog. I asked him what he wanted to write about. His reply really shocked me. He told me he often keeps his opinions to himself and is a "people pleaser" during conversations to avoid any arguments or disagreements between him and his friends. He told me that if his friends knew what his real thoughts and feelings on different topics were they would be really surprised. I was shocked! I didn't think he was one to just go with the crowd. I explained to him that I thought that was a great thing to write about and how I have worked my way out of being that same way. We talked about how keeping our mouth shut doesn't do any good in the long run and eventually it starts to really wear on a person to feel like they can never voice their opinion without feeling like your friends wi

i Don't Know How To Do This

Grieving is not something I have ever been good at. It's not that I haven't suffered any loss in my life, because there has certainly been plenty (even one loss is plenty, honestly) it's something else that I can't quite put my finger on. I am fortunate in that I haven't lost a person in my life, in the sense that they are no longer physically alive, in quite a few years. The last people I did lose were older relatives, which I think is different than someone you were close to on a work and personal level. So, here I am trying to figure out how to grieve the very sudden and even more tragic loss of the closest co worker I've probably ever had in Austin. And I don't know how to grieve her loss. She was in a tragic accident on Sunday, and her name was released yesterday afternoon. It was her and her daughter in her vehicle and neither of them survived. Christa was such a bright and happy person. Sure she was 20 years older than me but our connection was perf