Skip to main content

empty.

This year the holidays were more bad than good. It's not that they sucked or I didn't have fun or enjoy myself at all. They just brought with them a lot of negative feelings. They tested my strength and I didn't always pass that test. I feel like the older I get the less exciting the holidays are for me. As someone who grew up absolutely loving Christmas and everything about it, I struggle to find anything that I enjoy about it anymore. Because nobody shares my joy and excitement it doesn't get expressed like it did when I was younger. This year Christmas felt empty. That's really the only word I have to describe it. Not because I was alone or anything of the sort. I got some very nice gifts from my family members and was able to spend time with my husband's mom and her husband, as they were in town for a few days. It was empty for other reasons. It was my first Christmas away from my family; zero interaction with anyone in my family other than a phone call. It was Christmas Day mass at a strange church. It was sadness from my aunt passing away two days before Christmas. It was all of these feelings and thoughts that I kept inside. It was feeling alone even though I was in a room with my loved ones. It was empty. Something was missing. The joy that is supposed to come with these special and exciting holidays was not present. It was empty because I put on a brave face in hopes of being able to "fake it til ya make it". When that didn't work I just turned inwards towards myself.


The last week has been nothing but struggles. One after another. Most of these have been internal battles with myself and ongoing wars inside of me. I'm finding it hard to see the positive in just about anything right now. I can't find it in myself, my life, any of my relationships, anything I have ever accomplished, attempted to accomplish, or want to accomplish. It's nowhere to be found, without digging deep and honestly I don't have the energy or desire to dig for it. I am typically able to use my anxiety for good things, to advocate for myself and my needs, to help me in my job, to energize me and give me a reason to keep going. I'm having a really hard time even relating to my anxiety in a positive manner lately as well. Self doubt is also overshadowing any ounce of confidence I have built up over the recent months. I'm tired of always being on guard, or literally tip toeing around myself on eggshells, afraid to trigger a panic attack, or a bout of depression. I'm tired of having to think ahead all of the time to prevent escalating my anxiety. I want to do what I want, when I want without planning around traffic or busy times. I want to make plans without knowing every little detail from what time to what is everyone else wearing. It is so exhausting always being on guard and putting so much effort into avoiding these meltdowns. I want to be validated when I say that I'm having a hard time or a bad day, without trying to trudge through the muck by myself and getting stuck.


Like always I know that I will rise up out of this funk and be back to my cheery, happy go lucky self. But this time it feels different. It feels like I have a lot of soul searching to do and a lot of being vulnerable to do before I can climb back out of this. Maybe I will start that climb tomorrow, maybe I will start next week. For now I will try to be gentle with myself and let these thoughts come and go.


                                                                    rough seas, they carry me wherever I go... (time, love - it's only a change of time):

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost.

Life lately has been hard. I had a rough week and it seems to have carried through the weekend as well. I hate to even admit that because I'm trying to make some changes in my brain. I'm trying to hammer out what a bad day really is. I'm trying to learn what makes a bad day in Meghan's world. I've been down on myself lately and I don't even understand why. Nothing has changed. My anxiety is constant and I feel like I don't even remember what it's like to not be hyper vigilant. I am in this state of constant worry with "what ifs" running rampant in my brain. It's been having difficulty concentrating on my job, being present in conversations, and even caring about myself in general. I've been irritable and tired.  I just haven't been myself and because I don't know what the real issue is I don't know what to do to bring myself back. I'm stuck. I'm full of doubt and worry and none of it is worth the time I spend thinkin

Whatever Happened to Respect?

I've been thinking a lot lately. Shocker, I know. A friend of mine reached out to me a few months ago about my blog. He talked to me about how he had been tossing around the idea of starting a blog. I asked him what he wanted to write about. His reply really shocked me. He told me he often keeps his opinions to himself and is a "people pleaser" during conversations to avoid any arguments or disagreements between him and his friends. He told me that if his friends knew what his real thoughts and feelings on different topics were they would be really surprised. I was shocked! I didn't think he was one to just go with the crowd. I explained to him that I thought that was a great thing to write about and how I have worked my way out of being that same way. We talked about how keeping our mouth shut doesn't do any good in the long run and eventually it starts to really wear on a person to feel like they can never voice their opinion without feeling like your friends wi

i Don't Know How To Do This

Grieving is not something I have ever been good at. It's not that I haven't suffered any loss in my life, because there has certainly been plenty (even one loss is plenty, honestly) it's something else that I can't quite put my finger on. I am fortunate in that I haven't lost a person in my life, in the sense that they are no longer physically alive, in quite a few years. The last people I did lose were older relatives, which I think is different than someone you were close to on a work and personal level. So, here I am trying to figure out how to grieve the very sudden and even more tragic loss of the closest co worker I've probably ever had in Austin. And I don't know how to grieve her loss. She was in a tragic accident on Sunday, and her name was released yesterday afternoon. It was her and her daughter in her vehicle and neither of them survived. Christa was such a bright and happy person. Sure she was 20 years older than me but our connection was perf