Skip to main content

I Am Weak. I Am Strong.

Here we go. It's time for me to get real, again.

I know I have mentioned several times about people's reaction to my big move from SD to TX. I know I've talked about their lack in faith that I could handle such a huge move and how it drove my ambition to succeed in this move. For some reason this gave me the idea that bad days weren't okay anymore. In my mind I conjured up this idea, or thought, and eventually belief that I had to be strong and I couldn't show any sign of weakness, because that would just get everyone to throw it back in my face and throw the big fat I TOLD YOU SOs in my face. This is a terrible belief and I've tried so hard to push it out of my mind. It lays dormant and every once in awhile slowly creeps back into my thought process. This is so ridiculous and I know it. It's ridiculous because I have been on a mission for over six months now to dismiss all toxic people in my life. With less toxins in my life, that thought of not being able to appear weak should disappear, right? Wrong. For some reason that is still there, nagging in the back of my mind. The truth is nobody has said any version of "I told you so" to me and I've been in Austin for four months. Maybe I just do that good of a job of playing the role or strong, or maybe it's because people really, truly, want me to succeed. I'm going to be optimistic and say it's the latter. The reason I don't know the difference is because people simply don't reach out. Matthew and I were feeling a little homesick on Saturday night and after a video chat with my parents we decided to call some others, starting with my brother and working our way down the list of people who we thought would answer. We didn't have much luck, but the ones who did answer said they were so happy to hear from us. Sure we were a few mixed drinks in after playing hours of video games, but that didn't matter. We enjoyed seeing familiar faces and hearing comforting voices. We laughed, we reminisced, and we told everyone to come and visit us! And then Monday happened. I got up earlier than normal, wore a dress, did my hair and make up, and got to work early. I have no idea where or why it went downhill from there but I sent Matthew a text sometime in the morning saying "my anxiety is stupid high today" (or something like that). I struggled through the day, and I wished I had someone to talk to. Matthew knows my hard days suck, and he is great at keeping me in check, but sometimes I need a friend. A girlfriend, a guy friend, just a friend. He needs a break from listening to me. I am guilty of not always calling my friends when I say "I'll give you a call later this week" but I really try. I text, I Facebook, hell I even email. And sometimes I just feel like I am always the one shut out, ignored, forgotten. Like something is wrong with me that a majority of everyone I have ever been friends with puts me on the bottom of their list of people they care about. I also know very well that people have their own problems, their own issues, their own stressors and they don't always have time to reach out to little old me . But what I also know is that those people DO reach out to others and, for lack of a better phrase, replace others (like me). I feel like I have lost so many friends over the years because I wasn't physically there to put in effort. I like to think I put in a fair amount of effort no matter how far away I am from my friends, but it's not always good enough. I have phases of not wanting to talk to people, of ignoring phone calls, texts messages, what you have you, but it's just that, a phase. I always come back around. I always send a "hey sorry, wasn't feeling well" message. I try to catch up, to reach out, to BE there. It's just never enough. And I'm tired of that. I'm so tired of it that I don't even want to make any friends down here for fear of them not including me. Matthew knows that I am the first to include everyone, and the one that never gets included. It's hard.

Back to what I was getting at. I'm not going to be afraid to show my weaknesses anymore. I'm not going to let a silly thought stop me from showing my real feelings. I'm not going to think twice about admitting that I get homesick now and then, but it's never a debilitating homesickness. It's normal to feel homesick when you live away from family. Why should I act like it's abnormal?! I'm not going to stop admitting defeat on my bad days. I'm not going to let people talk down to me when I am feeling weak and sad and lonely. I'm going to be okay with going home from work and crawling into bed on days that I literally can't do anything else. I'm going to keep fighting the good fight. I'm going to keep learning my triggers, trying to find new coping mechanisms, and I'm going to keep pushing myself to get out and do something on those days that I have the energy to do it. I'll keep smiling when I feel like I have it in me. I'll keep quiet when I don't want to say the wrong thing. I'll keep begging and pleading for my friends to not forget me. But I won't bother those who have already forgotten.

And when Matthew tells me "Wow, you are in a great mood today!!" I'm going to keep replying with "Yes I am, so don't fuck it up!!" Because that's true love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost.

Life lately has been hard. I had a rough week and it seems to have carried through the weekend as well. I hate to even admit that because I'm trying to make some changes in my brain. I'm trying to hammer out what a bad day really is. I'm trying to learn what makes a bad day in Meghan's world. I've been down on myself lately and I don't even understand why. Nothing has changed. My anxiety is constant and I feel like I don't even remember what it's like to not be hyper vigilant. I am in this state of constant worry with "what ifs" running rampant in my brain. It's been having difficulty concentrating on my job, being present in conversations, and even caring about myself in general. I've been irritable and tired.  I just haven't been myself and because I don't know what the real issue is I don't know what to do to bring myself back. I'm stuck. I'm full of doubt and worry and none of it is worth the time I spend thinkin

Whatever Happened to Respect?

I've been thinking a lot lately. Shocker, I know. A friend of mine reached out to me a few months ago about my blog. He talked to me about how he had been tossing around the idea of starting a blog. I asked him what he wanted to write about. His reply really shocked me. He told me he often keeps his opinions to himself and is a "people pleaser" during conversations to avoid any arguments or disagreements between him and his friends. He told me that if his friends knew what his real thoughts and feelings on different topics were they would be really surprised. I was shocked! I didn't think he was one to just go with the crowd. I explained to him that I thought that was a great thing to write about and how I have worked my way out of being that same way. We talked about how keeping our mouth shut doesn't do any good in the long run and eventually it starts to really wear on a person to feel like they can never voice their opinion without feeling like your friends wi

i Don't Know How To Do This

Grieving is not something I have ever been good at. It's not that I haven't suffered any loss in my life, because there has certainly been plenty (even one loss is plenty, honestly) it's something else that I can't quite put my finger on. I am fortunate in that I haven't lost a person in my life, in the sense that they are no longer physically alive, in quite a few years. The last people I did lose were older relatives, which I think is different than someone you were close to on a work and personal level. So, here I am trying to figure out how to grieve the very sudden and even more tragic loss of the closest co worker I've probably ever had in Austin. And I don't know how to grieve her loss. She was in a tragic accident on Sunday, and her name was released yesterday afternoon. It was her and her daughter in her vehicle and neither of them survived. Christa was such a bright and happy person. Sure she was 20 years older than me but our connection was perf