Skip to main content

Life Lately

I have been working very hard for the last week to make my house feel like a home. The moving company arrived (finally!) on Sunday morning last week. Between them unloading and me unpacking it was a good 10 hour day. It was exhausting and even though I got a good share of things put away it still felt like I barely made a dent. I can say that it was so amazing to be able to sleep in my own bed again. It was probably the best night of sleep I had since leaving South Dakota. On Monday I got home from work around 5pm and didn't stop working until after 9:30. I collapsed into my bed purely exhausted.
Because our home in Austin is a little over half the size of our place in Sioux Falls I have spent a good amount of time worrying about where we were going to put everything. Turns out that we got rid of a lot more stuff than I realized, and our place has more storage than it seems. I already took five boxes and one bag of stuff to Goodwill. It makes me feel good to get rid of things I know I don't need, especially books, clothes, etc that I can replace someday if I want to. The unpacking process is not done yet but it is near completion. Some things I am waiting to decide on until Matthew....WHO WILL BE HERE IN 3 WEEKS is here.

Matthew was offered a job with the American Heart Association in Austin and will be their new Corporate Marketing Director. I am so proud of him and it makes me so happy to hear him be excited about work again. He has been with the BSA for the better part of 10 years and is ready to get his feet wet elsewhere. I cannot wait for him to get here. I have so many amazing places to take him and things to show him!

I have a whole new respect and amount of empathy for people who live apart from their spouses due to military or other jobs. By the time Matthew gets here in March will have been apart for over 10 weeks, which is longer than two months. Which is a lot when the longest we've been apart before is probably 10 or 12 days at a time. While I feel like it is impossible for it to have already been that long I also feel like it has been much longer just because of everything that has happened since I left.

A long distance marriage was never on my bucket list but if we can survive this with minimal "drama" (for lack of a better term), then I honestly believe we can get through anything life throws at us. In the two and a half years of being engaged/married we have been through a huge percentage of the trials that some married folks never survive. We have gone through family drama, a move, new jobs, unemployment, huge blow outs during our wedding planning, a cross country move and living apart. That really is a lot for a young couple who are newly weds. And lets not forget the amount of anxiety that has come with ALL of those things. And the days that I couldn't do anything more than get out of bed. All of these things had made us stronger and have solidified any tiny bit of doubt I may have had about getting married. We will survive!

Today is Valentine's Day, and since Matthew and I rarely have Valentine's Days together it's not such a big deal to be apart from him. Although this is the farthest apart we have ever been for Valentine's Day. I plan to do something for myself today since we decided to not get each other anything.

THE COUNTDOWN IS ON!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost.

Life lately has been hard. I had a rough week and it seems to have carried through the weekend as well. I hate to even admit that because I'm trying to make some changes in my brain. I'm trying to hammer out what a bad day really is. I'm trying to learn what makes a bad day in Meghan's world. I've been down on myself lately and I don't even understand why. Nothing has changed. My anxiety is constant and I feel like I don't even remember what it's like to not be hyper vigilant. I am in this state of constant worry with "what ifs" running rampant in my brain. It's been having difficulty concentrating on my job, being present in conversations, and even caring about myself in general. I've been irritable and tired.  I just haven't been myself and because I don't know what the real issue is I don't know what to do to bring myself back. I'm stuck. I'm full of doubt and worry and none of it is worth the time I spend thinkin

Whatever Happened to Respect?

I've been thinking a lot lately. Shocker, I know. A friend of mine reached out to me a few months ago about my blog. He talked to me about how he had been tossing around the idea of starting a blog. I asked him what he wanted to write about. His reply really shocked me. He told me he often keeps his opinions to himself and is a "people pleaser" during conversations to avoid any arguments or disagreements between him and his friends. He told me that if his friends knew what his real thoughts and feelings on different topics were they would be really surprised. I was shocked! I didn't think he was one to just go with the crowd. I explained to him that I thought that was a great thing to write about and how I have worked my way out of being that same way. We talked about how keeping our mouth shut doesn't do any good in the long run and eventually it starts to really wear on a person to feel like they can never voice their opinion without feeling like your friends wi

i Don't Know How To Do This

Grieving is not something I have ever been good at. It's not that I haven't suffered any loss in my life, because there has certainly been plenty (even one loss is plenty, honestly) it's something else that I can't quite put my finger on. I am fortunate in that I haven't lost a person in my life, in the sense that they are no longer physically alive, in quite a few years. The last people I did lose were older relatives, which I think is different than someone you were close to on a work and personal level. So, here I am trying to figure out how to grieve the very sudden and even more tragic loss of the closest co worker I've probably ever had in Austin. And I don't know how to grieve her loss. She was in a tragic accident on Sunday, and her name was released yesterday afternoon. It was her and her daughter in her vehicle and neither of them survived. Christa was such a bright and happy person. Sure she was 20 years older than me but our connection was perf