Skip to main content

Breaking The Silence

I've been quiet lately. I have started several drafts but just haven't had it in me to finish and post any of them. It's not because I don't have anything to say, I always have plenty. I think my lack of writing has been more to do with feeling like I need to live in silence and not share my struggles with the world. Like I overshare, or give people false perceptions of who I am. All reasons that are completely ridiculous. Anxiety seemed to have hijacked my thought process and sent me into a pit of self doubt. Why would I doubt that I should continue to share my walk including successes as well as failures? I've been doing it for awhile now and have had a handful of people reach out to me to thank me (and a few who have given unsolicited advice, which is inventible.)

I have been thinking a lot about this and processing why I suddenly went quiet and I came up with a few hypothesis. About six weeks ago I finished a round of group therapy. Nobody except for my husband knew that I was going. It was facilitated by my individual therapist and he invited me to try the group. I was really hesitant at first (helloooo social anxiety) but after a few weeks of going I started to get slightly more comfortable with it. The longer group went on, the more people were missing. There were weeks when there were only three (out of eight) of us there. Heck, one week I was the only one! The smaller the group, the more I talked. The last eight weeks or so I really came out of my shell and my sassy side was making a pretty regular appearance. In the beginning I was pretty firm on believing I didn't have anything in common with the other participants. My encouraging therapist assured me that was not the truth. Now that so much time has passed and I've had plenty of time to process those six months of intense therapy, I stand by the fact that I did not have anything in common with the rest. While I wasn't the only one in that room dealing with the same "diagnoses" or struggling with some similar childhood issues or current life problems, I can definitely name way more differences. First of all, I was the only one in a committed (married) relationship. That among other traits and beliefs really set me apart. It's not such a terrible thing, but with how my brain functions it was just one more obstacle in my way of trying to "fit in." I will say that by the end of the six months I was asking if it was possible to do another six month group. I attended every single week, only missing once. Even being there consistently I do believe that I need to do another session of it to REALLY see the benefits of the group aspect. So, with that disclosure, sometime in the next few weeks I will be starting round two. It's intense, and even on the weeks I drove home in tears, or feeling angry, I see where I will only benefit in the long run.

Another reason I may have recoiled back into the quiet is because I am extremely fearful of judgment. I know everyone judges others, I am guilty. However, I do not EVER judge other's struggles and battles with any form of mental health. Some people unfortunately do, and I have been the victim of that more than once. What I 've learned is that it takes a lot of confidence to be vulnerable, and it takes one comment, person, whisper, remark, etc to completely wipe confidence off the map. It then takes even longer than the first time to regain that confidence in being vulnerable. I can't point to anything recently that lead to this dip, so I don't think it was that specifically. I'm leaning more towards personal judgment and assuming that others are thinking "good lord when is she going to snap out of it!"

What I really think happened is depression has overtaken anxiety, and right now depression is my biggest battle. Every summer I end up going through a depressive episode. They used to be incredibly scary and dark, leaving me isolating and in bed for days. I have since learned to deal with them much better so it's probably not even obvious to anyone who knows me that it's happening. It's harder to find motivation and inspiration to write when you have lost joy in everything. I also fear letting the truth out, because I feel like I have to be strong and fight through the bad days, which I normally do, but some days I just want to give in and call it a day early. When I have anxiety the words tend to flow endlessly (because my brain doesn't stop!!!) Maybe there is a bigger stigma against depression than there is anxiety so I find myself limiting my posts about it. The irony about this is the past few weeks I have been thinking more and more about how I can become more involved in the mental health community. How can I get my story out there to a bigger audience? How can I put my thoughts and feelings and experiences into written words (because I am scared to death of any form of public speaking!) so anyone is looking for hope, an ear, a shoulder, or reassurance that they are not alone, they have access to it. So far I haven't gotten past the "thinking its time to do more" part of this. Ha! I really struggle with having the ambition to put the desire into motion. I could accomplish so many more things if that wasn't lacking. Eventually I will figure it out, I hope!

Hopefully this is the beginning of me going to back to regular blogging. If not, know I will eventually be back sooner or later.

                               sometimes quotes sometimes it feels better not to talk. At all. About anything to anyone.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost.

Life lately has been hard. I had a rough week and it seems to have carried through the weekend as well. I hate to even admit that because I'm trying to make some changes in my brain. I'm trying to hammer out what a bad day really is. I'm trying to learn what makes a bad day in Meghan's world. I've been down on myself lately and I don't even understand why. Nothing has changed. My anxiety is constant and I feel like I don't even remember what it's like to not be hyper vigilant. I am in this state of constant worry with "what ifs" running rampant in my brain. It's been having difficulty concentrating on my job, being present in conversations, and even caring about myself in general. I've been irritable and tired.  I just haven't been myself and because I don't know what the real issue is I don't know what to do to bring myself back. I'm stuck. I'm full of doubt and worry and none of it is worth the time I spend thinkin

Whatever Happened to Respect?

I've been thinking a lot lately. Shocker, I know. A friend of mine reached out to me a few months ago about my blog. He talked to me about how he had been tossing around the idea of starting a blog. I asked him what he wanted to write about. His reply really shocked me. He told me he often keeps his opinions to himself and is a "people pleaser" during conversations to avoid any arguments or disagreements between him and his friends. He told me that if his friends knew what his real thoughts and feelings on different topics were they would be really surprised. I was shocked! I didn't think he was one to just go with the crowd. I explained to him that I thought that was a great thing to write about and how I have worked my way out of being that same way. We talked about how keeping our mouth shut doesn't do any good in the long run and eventually it starts to really wear on a person to feel like they can never voice their opinion without feeling like your friends wi

i Don't Know How To Do This

Grieving is not something I have ever been good at. It's not that I haven't suffered any loss in my life, because there has certainly been plenty (even one loss is plenty, honestly) it's something else that I can't quite put my finger on. I am fortunate in that I haven't lost a person in my life, in the sense that they are no longer physically alive, in quite a few years. The last people I did lose were older relatives, which I think is different than someone you were close to on a work and personal level. So, here I am trying to figure out how to grieve the very sudden and even more tragic loss of the closest co worker I've probably ever had in Austin. And I don't know how to grieve her loss. She was in a tragic accident on Sunday, and her name was released yesterday afternoon. It was her and her daughter in her vehicle and neither of them survived. Christa was such a bright and happy person. Sure she was 20 years older than me but our connection was perf