Skip to main content

A Safe Place To Grow

I just got done reading yesterday's devotion in my neat little book that I seem to take so much comfort in but still struggle to remember to read daily. This week's theme is "your growth matters" and the title of the devotion was A Safe Place To Grow. Fitting for me and my current place in life. It talks about how a greenhouse is a safe haven for a plant to grow. It goes on to say that as one pursues a life that matters it is important to have a safe place to grow. A place where you can avoid elements that stunt your growth. A place where it is safe to make mistakes and try again. Be who you are, good, bad, or ugly. Where your roots can find healthy soil and be fed, watered, and nurtured. Direct access to the light of life. Somewhere in which you are able to plant your roots and flourish in a life that is meaningful and purposeful to YOU.

As I sit outside soaking up the partly cloudy sky and warm temperature; taking a much needed mental break from the day I am reflecting how this relates back to me. It's not a comparison that I would've ever thought up on my own, but what a brilliant one it is. I talk all of the time about how much I love Austin. Moving here was probably one of, if not the, best decisions of my life. And it wasn't a decision I made on my own, which makes it even better when thinking about how stubborn I can be in regards to doing what I want to do, not what others think is "best" for me. I don't question my growth since moving here. I have not gone backwards, or "shrunk", if you will. I moved a long ways from home and that was the very first step outside of my comfort zone. The rest of the steps have been in the right direction, leading me to much bigger growth (literally and figuratively, HA!). I had to do  several things that many probably never thought I would handle. Back in December when I was reflecting on my first year in Austin it was so obvious to me how much I have grown. I think about my (almost) two years in Sioux Falls and while I wish I could say with all honesty that they were great years, they really weren't. They provided me with many challenges that I did overcome, but I felt stuck, and I felt like I was alone in my fight against whatever it was I was fighting then. I was damaged goods when I moved to Austin but the great thing about it was nobody knew that, and I had a fresh pot of soil to plant myself in.

To me Austin is the greenhouse, the home, the perfect fresh soil for me to grow my roots and figure out what my purpose is. I feel safe in Austin and I can see my potential; things I'm not so sure I knew about before moving here. It didn't happen immediately, it has happened over the course of the months I have lived here. It didn't come easy either, I had to overcome some of my fears and I am still overcoming so many things. It's a step I don't think I would've taken anywhere else because I just never felt safe enough to do it. I didn't know that, though. Finding a support system here has been all but easy, but I have so many more opportunities here to build that. I am one in a million in Austin and that is the best part about growing. I can be me; the good, the bad, and the ugly when I feel it is safer important to do so. I don't have to avoid so many negative elements. Of course I have not released my inner self to everyone I have met, and that is part of what I mean when I say I am still working on me. I have years of turmoil and darkness inside of me that I need to cultivate and find some positive energy in.

I have a lot of faith in my ability to continue my growth here, in Austin, my greenhouse. I have been questioning my purpose in life a lot lately. It's been invading my thoughts almost daily. What am I here for? I know the answers are out there, and they are in my heart; my guarded heart. If I continue to be watered, and nurtured, and have consistent access to the light of life I know that I will flourish. I will be who God put me on this Earth to be. I will have a meaningful and purposeful life.


                                  Something will grow from all you are going through, and it will be you!:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost.

Life lately has been hard. I had a rough week and it seems to have carried through the weekend as well. I hate to even admit that because I'm trying to make some changes in my brain. I'm trying to hammer out what a bad day really is. I'm trying to learn what makes a bad day in Meghan's world. I've been down on myself lately and I don't even understand why. Nothing has changed. My anxiety is constant and I feel like I don't even remember what it's like to not be hyper vigilant. I am in this state of constant worry with "what ifs" running rampant in my brain. It's been having difficulty concentrating on my job, being present in conversations, and even caring about myself in general. I've been irritable and tired.  I just haven't been myself and because I don't know what the real issue is I don't know what to do to bring myself back. I'm stuck. I'm full of doubt and worry and none of it is worth the time I spend thinkin

Whatever Happened to Respect?

I've been thinking a lot lately. Shocker, I know. A friend of mine reached out to me a few months ago about my blog. He talked to me about how he had been tossing around the idea of starting a blog. I asked him what he wanted to write about. His reply really shocked me. He told me he often keeps his opinions to himself and is a "people pleaser" during conversations to avoid any arguments or disagreements between him and his friends. He told me that if his friends knew what his real thoughts and feelings on different topics were they would be really surprised. I was shocked! I didn't think he was one to just go with the crowd. I explained to him that I thought that was a great thing to write about and how I have worked my way out of being that same way. We talked about how keeping our mouth shut doesn't do any good in the long run and eventually it starts to really wear on a person to feel like they can never voice their opinion without feeling like your friends wi

i Don't Know How To Do This

Grieving is not something I have ever been good at. It's not that I haven't suffered any loss in my life, because there has certainly been plenty (even one loss is plenty, honestly) it's something else that I can't quite put my finger on. I am fortunate in that I haven't lost a person in my life, in the sense that they are no longer physically alive, in quite a few years. The last people I did lose were older relatives, which I think is different than someone you were close to on a work and personal level. So, here I am trying to figure out how to grieve the very sudden and even more tragic loss of the closest co worker I've probably ever had in Austin. And I don't know how to grieve her loss. She was in a tragic accident on Sunday, and her name was released yesterday afternoon. It was her and her daughter in her vehicle and neither of them survived. Christa was such a bright and happy person. Sure she was 20 years older than me but our connection was perf