Skip to main content

He Doesn't Even Know!

Someone recently asked Matthew if he ever feels anxious, sad, depressed, etc. He immediately and bravely answered "No, I never do". And he meant it. And I believe him. And I admire him. What it must feel like to go through this life with no burdens of mental illness. What a toll it must take on a mentally healthy person to be married to an anxious ball of joyful, sad tears. What an amazing heart must beat in that chest of his. To be strong enough in his head and in his body for not only himself, but for another living being. A living being who looks to him to keep her from falling, to pick her up when she is down, and hold her up when she is weak. What strength he must have to deal with the heavy burden that comes with being married to me and my scary, dark, fearful, anxious thoughts that are really good at ruining things for all involved. Someone who has lost a parent and other family members all within a short period of time can opening and easily admit that he does not struggle with anything more than some situational anxiety (he hates driving in the city!), grief that doesn't linger, and is able to see more positive in any situation than anyone I think I've ever met.

Then a little pang of jealousy circulated through me. I don't even know what a life with so much peace is like. I don't think I've ever truly lived any part of my life without some sort of anxiety or depression laying dormant inside of my brain waiting for the right (read: wrong) time to attack. I'm sure at some point when I was too young to remember there was some peace in this noggin of mine.  I can recall times in school, all the way back to Kindergarten, when I bawled and begged and tried everything I could think of to get my mom to take me home from school for the day. Usually it was for no other reason than I just didn't want to be there (and that one time I peed my pants during lunch...) I have memories of making myself sick in the second grade. I would refuse to eat and my parents were worried I was not healthy enough. I would walk home from school in 5th or 6th grade while my friends walked behind me and threw rocks at me. I think back to a lot of times where things inside of my head weren't okay, and were probably a lot scarier than I realized at the time. Matthew has no idea what that is like, none whatsoever. Yet he deals with me and all my crazy notions and ideas that are false 98% of the time. He doesn't judge me. He doesn't criticize me. He doesn't call me stupid for being worried about something that isn't likely to happen in a million years. He can make me laugh when I'm pissed off and want to kick the shit out of anxiety. He lets me sleep when I'm tired. He lets me mope around when I'm sad. He lets me cry when I have no idea what is wrong. He lets me hide from him. He reassures me when I think the world is ending. He lets me take my anxiety out on him, knowing I will apologize when I am back into my normal frame of mind. He stops my negative self talk in it's tracks. He is ALWAYS pointing out things that we have to look forward to. He's pretty good at compliments, even though I don't ever believe him. (Thanks, brain).

Best of all, he doesn't try to fix me. He knows there are things in my head and in my heart that are dark, and scary, and painful. My struggle isn't a secret. He supports (most of) my crazy off the wall ideas on what I think will help me. He flips the bad into good. Somehow he does all of these things without having any experience with these monsters in his own life. He is one in a million. The world needs more compassionate people like Matthew. How lucky I am.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost.

Life lately has been hard. I had a rough week and it seems to have carried through the weekend as well. I hate to even admit that because I'm trying to make some changes in my brain. I'm trying to hammer out what a bad day really is. I'm trying to learn what makes a bad day in Meghan's world. I've been down on myself lately and I don't even understand why. Nothing has changed. My anxiety is constant and I feel like I don't even remember what it's like to not be hyper vigilant. I am in this state of constant worry with "what ifs" running rampant in my brain. It's been having difficulty concentrating on my job, being present in conversations, and even caring about myself in general. I've been irritable and tired.  I just haven't been myself and because I don't know what the real issue is I don't know what to do to bring myself back. I'm stuck. I'm full of doubt and worry and none of it is worth the time I spend thinkin

Whatever Happened to Respect?

I've been thinking a lot lately. Shocker, I know. A friend of mine reached out to me a few months ago about my blog. He talked to me about how he had been tossing around the idea of starting a blog. I asked him what he wanted to write about. His reply really shocked me. He told me he often keeps his opinions to himself and is a "people pleaser" during conversations to avoid any arguments or disagreements between him and his friends. He told me that if his friends knew what his real thoughts and feelings on different topics were they would be really surprised. I was shocked! I didn't think he was one to just go with the crowd. I explained to him that I thought that was a great thing to write about and how I have worked my way out of being that same way. We talked about how keeping our mouth shut doesn't do any good in the long run and eventually it starts to really wear on a person to feel like they can never voice their opinion without feeling like your friends wi

i Don't Know How To Do This

Grieving is not something I have ever been good at. It's not that I haven't suffered any loss in my life, because there has certainly been plenty (even one loss is plenty, honestly) it's something else that I can't quite put my finger on. I am fortunate in that I haven't lost a person in my life, in the sense that they are no longer physically alive, in quite a few years. The last people I did lose were older relatives, which I think is different than someone you were close to on a work and personal level. So, here I am trying to figure out how to grieve the very sudden and even more tragic loss of the closest co worker I've probably ever had in Austin. And I don't know how to grieve her loss. She was in a tragic accident on Sunday, and her name was released yesterday afternoon. It was her and her daughter in her vehicle and neither of them survived. Christa was such a bright and happy person. Sure she was 20 years older than me but our connection was perf