Skip to main content

Oh I'm Halfway There..

Hello readers! I am coming to you from Stillwater Oklahoma!! While our original road trip plan involved an overnight stay in Enid Oklahoma the bad weather kept us east of OKC and landed us here in Stillwater. We got a bit excited about all of the bad weather that was headed south for the day and re routed several times and got lost ZERO!

We went to bed around 10:30 last night and I fell asleep with my husband's arms around me and Wrigley curled up by my stomach. I woke up several times due to the neighbors, weird dreams, and being afraid of oversleeping my alarm clock. I finally rolled out of bed around 6:15, took a shower with Matthew, and finished packing up what needed to go into the car. We hit the road at 7:22 am. I wasn't even out of our parking lot when I realized I had forgotten the dog dishes at home, as well as the key to our lock box that is hidden away in my truck. We stopped around 9:30 for a bathroom break, which resulted in Wrigley trying to chase down a Husky with a turd hanging out of his butt and me trying to sneak him in the bathroom to clean him up. We were in Iowa somewhere and it was super cold and windy. This is where we got our first "re route" mapped. It's also where we witnessed two country bumpkins get into what appeared to be a domestic dispute before we sped out of there and hit the road. We made another stop for gas and lunch, and one for the bathroom before hitting our final destination.

Wrigley has never been on a trip that long (I think 9 hours is his longest) and he did so well. He spent most of the trip snoozing on my lap and when he wasn't doing that he was chewing on his bone or looking out the window trying to figure out where the hell we were going. I don't think he has a clue. I do think he is looking for Matthew now that we are settled in for the night, though. I had zero anxiety or fears when saying my goodbyes to my dad and Matthew, or driving down the road, or making different plans several times, or canceling one hotel room to get another. I was cool as a cucumber. Now that I am 600ish miles away I am finding out that I'm not as brave as I thought it was. I'm anxious about this change. I have anxiety and I want to do nothing more than curl up in a ball and cry. But I won't because I know I am strong. When I texted Matthew that his response made me smile and that was all the re assurance I needed in the moment. It didn't take away my anxiety but it sure helped.

For tonight I am settled into bed at the Fairfield in with my mom in the bed next to me. Lifetime is on the TV and I have a pup resting on my legs. I'll read my People magazine I snagged from my former employer and if I feel like it read my book. I'll go to sleep missing my husband and talking myself into being braver than I feel.

Goodnight from Oklahoma.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

i Don't Know How To Do This

Grieving is not something I have ever been good at. It's not that I haven't suffered any loss in my life, because there has certainly been plenty (even one loss is plenty, honestly) it's something else that I can't quite put my finger on. I am fortunate in that I haven't lost a person in my life, in the sense that they are no longer physically alive, in quite a few years. The last people I did lose were older relatives, which I think is different than someone you were close to on a work and personal level. So, here I am trying to figure out how to grieve the very sudden and even more tragic loss of the closest co worker I've probably ever had in Austin. And I don't know how to grieve her loss. She was in a tragic accident on Sunday, and her name was released yesterday afternoon. It was her and her daughter in her vehicle and neither of them survived. Christa was such a bright and happy person. Sure she was 20 years older than me but our connection was perf

Word Vomit

This world and the people in it have gotten so.....delusional. Somewhere along the line people forgot that kindness is free. I'm not talking about helping someone who can't reach the top shelf at the grocery store (although this is something I often do!), or holding the door (common decency) but the kindness that comes along with listening to people who have different opinions than your own. Treating them with respect even if you don't agree with what they're saying. Not making assumptions based on what someone does or does not do. And quite frankly, I'm tired of it. Perhaps I'm in the minority with my thoughts and opinions and morals and beliefs, but even so I shouldn't feel so afraid or sharing them. I try to keep my mouth shut and my thoughts to myself to avoid being attacked by the keyboard warriors, but I realize that this is part of the problem. As tired as I am of the news and the debates and arguments and name calling and judging over COVID 19, BLM,

Lost.

Life lately has been hard. I had a rough week and it seems to have carried through the weekend as well. I hate to even admit that because I'm trying to make some changes in my brain. I'm trying to hammer out what a bad day really is. I'm trying to learn what makes a bad day in Meghan's world. I've been down on myself lately and I don't even understand why. Nothing has changed. My anxiety is constant and I feel like I don't even remember what it's like to not be hyper vigilant. I am in this state of constant worry with "what ifs" running rampant in my brain. It's been having difficulty concentrating on my job, being present in conversations, and even caring about myself in general. I've been irritable and tired.  I just haven't been myself and because I don't know what the real issue is I don't know what to do to bring myself back. I'm stuck. I'm full of doubt and worry and none of it is worth the time I spend thinkin