Skip to main content

There's A Story Behind Every person...[Stop Judging]

Last week I posted about how I feel so many people are uneducated about mental health. I'm going to revisit this topic.

 There is a mental illness crisis in this country. While the path to recovery begins with you recognizing or admitting that you have a problem,  it isn't that easy. We have country full of people living with depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, you name it. I'd be willing to bet the largest majority of these people are living their life undiagnosed and without the treatment they need. Why? Stigma. There is a terrible stigma attached to mental health and it needs to stop!!! I get so angry when people are willing to realize that cancer, and diabetes, and heart disease, and alcoholism are all real issues and diseases that are killing people daily! Why can't these same people understand that mental health is also killing people daily? People take their own lives, they go untreated, un medicated, which call all lead to death [without suicide]. Just like not treating your cancer, or you diabetes, will eventually kill you. WHY is mental health any different, because it's not "visible"? I personally believe that it is plenty visible if you would stop and take time to actually look at a person. On my bad days I can look at myself and see my anxiety written all over my face. If someone is severely depressed all you have to do is take one good look at them and you can see it. People choose to overlook it. There are so many other real illnesses that are invisible but get treated as visible. Why not mental health? People who choose to not educate themselves on the growing issue are causing more and more people to crawl into holes, to attempt and even succeed in committing suicide, hiding their feelings, and refusing to get help. They are embarrassed, they think there is something wrong with them, and YOU are the reason.

Since I started posting these blogs on social media I have gotten major negative judgment. Some of the things I've been told are..

"Nobody has as many bad days as you"
"I don't want to be miserable like you"
"You're so negative and unhappy it's insane"
"You have nothing positive to say, ever"

Click for Options
Those are some of the meanest things anyone has ever said to me. Ever. To me, those words came from a place of judgment, probably some hate, and purely being naïve. If you truly understand mental illness, and if you know my story, those are the last things you should say to me. Those should be the last things you say to anyone, ever. Mentally healthy or not. Where do people learn that behavior? Did someone in their life treat them so badly that they need to treat others that way? I will never understand it. When was it not okay to have bad days? Who's life is 100% rainbows and sunshine? If you think the truth is that I never have anything positive to say you clearly don't talk to me enough. if you think I am unhappy you don't spend enough time with me. If you think I am miserable you have NO idea who I am. Those words were said to me two days ago and they still hurt me. I'm not perfect, but I do know that I have never, and would never, say such mean hateful things to someone.

The fact that Anxiety Disorder is a huge part of me and my life will not change. If you knew me 10 years ago, or even 5, compared to now you would know that I have come so far in my fight. I am in such a happy place now for the first time, probably ever. That doesn't mean I can't have bad days, I can't have days I would rather bury myself under the covers than get out of bed, or cry for no apparent reason. It's how I move on after those bad days that matter. I have a wonderful loving husband who sticks by me, helps me, and stands up for me no matter what. I have the world's best friend that understands me even when I don't speak. I have a job, a roof over my head, big goals in my life, a puppy who adores me, and a passion driving me to better my life. I don't need people that will say those things to me. A fun fact: When you tell people with a mental health diagnosis things that that, even when they aren't true, they start to believe those things about themselves, only putting them deeper into the hole they are trying so hard to dig themselves out of. I have been writing this blog for a year now and until recently never posted anything publicly. Since starting to do so I have been able to weed out some toxic people in my life, and to me that is a good thing. I don't have time to waste on people like that.


Click for Options
 
I invite anyone in my life who is not okay with the fact that I have an anxiety disorder to exit my life.
 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost.

Life lately has been hard. I had a rough week and it seems to have carried through the weekend as well. I hate to even admit that because I'm trying to make some changes in my brain. I'm trying to hammer out what a bad day really is. I'm trying to learn what makes a bad day in Meghan's world. I've been down on myself lately and I don't even understand why. Nothing has changed. My anxiety is constant and I feel like I don't even remember what it's like to not be hyper vigilant. I am in this state of constant worry with "what ifs" running rampant in my brain. It's been having difficulty concentrating on my job, being present in conversations, and even caring about myself in general. I've been irritable and tired.  I just haven't been myself and because I don't know what the real issue is I don't know what to do to bring myself back. I'm stuck. I'm full of doubt and worry and none of it is worth the time I spend thinkin

Whatever Happened to Respect?

I've been thinking a lot lately. Shocker, I know. A friend of mine reached out to me a few months ago about my blog. He talked to me about how he had been tossing around the idea of starting a blog. I asked him what he wanted to write about. His reply really shocked me. He told me he often keeps his opinions to himself and is a "people pleaser" during conversations to avoid any arguments or disagreements between him and his friends. He told me that if his friends knew what his real thoughts and feelings on different topics were they would be really surprised. I was shocked! I didn't think he was one to just go with the crowd. I explained to him that I thought that was a great thing to write about and how I have worked my way out of being that same way. We talked about how keeping our mouth shut doesn't do any good in the long run and eventually it starts to really wear on a person to feel like they can never voice their opinion without feeling like your friends wi

i Don't Know How To Do This

Grieving is not something I have ever been good at. It's not that I haven't suffered any loss in my life, because there has certainly been plenty (even one loss is plenty, honestly) it's something else that I can't quite put my finger on. I am fortunate in that I haven't lost a person in my life, in the sense that they are no longer physically alive, in quite a few years. The last people I did lose were older relatives, which I think is different than someone you were close to on a work and personal level. So, here I am trying to figure out how to grieve the very sudden and even more tragic loss of the closest co worker I've probably ever had in Austin. And I don't know how to grieve her loss. She was in a tragic accident on Sunday, and her name was released yesterday afternoon. It was her and her daughter in her vehicle and neither of them survived. Christa was such a bright and happy person. Sure she was 20 years older than me but our connection was perf