Skip to main content

Prove It

Through learning to be mindful and all of that jazz I have recognized one more thing about myself that I have never been cognizant of . I've probably been doing it for quite a long time, maybe even years, without having any idea. This thing, this (bad) habit of mine that I am speaking of is believing I have to prove myself to everyone. Prove that I know what I am talking about, prove that I am a good person, prove that I know I'm doing what I am supposed to be doing, prove my feelings. Pretty much defend and back up my every thought and action. I wish that I could just do things, say things, learn things, and know things without having to put it all out there so that people might believe in me. Do you have any idea how exhausting it is constantly trying to convince people (especially idiots) that what you're feelings is real, no matter if they understand it or not? Let me tell you, it's depleting. I can't just feel or be or do without the follow up explanation. I don't think I have ever said "I am a good person" without immediately listing off reasons why I think so, or examples of things I have done. I love to do things for people, to care about people, give positive affirmations to friends, family, and strangers alike, and most of all be the friend I know I am capable of being.  Why do I need to spend extra time and energy citing my sources? It's so ridiculous to think that I have to record things or take pictures to keep in my back pocket if someone may doubt me. I don't want to brag to people about how I supported a friend through a difficult time, or I'm the go to for a friend who struggles with something, that I can and do keep secrets when someone tells me something in confidence, or I take the time to make someone else's day better. Perhaps the most exhausting piece of this happens when feelings and emotions are involved. I am a sensitive person, I always have been. I'm probably more sensitive than I will admit, but that is something about me I need to accept and work on. Because I am so sensitive I tend to take on other people's shit. I blame myself for things that are so outlandish. I don't victimize myself like so many others do. If I'm telling someone how I am feeling I don't think I should have to validate myself by giving any more detail than I want to, or share any more information than I feel is necessary. I have days when I run the entire gamut of emotions from elated to angry, to anxious and panicky, back to joy, and end the day crying myself to sleep. It's who I am. It's how my sensitive little heart and soul function. I feel EVERYTHING. I want to feel nervous about something that makes zero sense to anyone else without scrambling to find a way to make someone understand. I want to feel angry about something that nobody else may think is a big deal without getting into a debate about why I shouldn't be angry. I want to be sad and not have people list off everything in my life that is good. I could die a happy girl if I never had to hear "You don't need to be depressed!" ever again. I live for having down time and alone without having to justify it. I hate everything about believing I nee to do all of these things. It's killing my self esteem and it took me until, today (literally), to have this epiphany. One more thing to add to my self improvement list!

                                 Be a good person but don't waste time to prove it. You don't have to !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost.

Life lately has been hard. I had a rough week and it seems to have carried through the weekend as well. I hate to even admit that because I'm trying to make some changes in my brain. I'm trying to hammer out what a bad day really is. I'm trying to learn what makes a bad day in Meghan's world. I've been down on myself lately and I don't even understand why. Nothing has changed. My anxiety is constant and I feel like I don't even remember what it's like to not be hyper vigilant. I am in this state of constant worry with "what ifs" running rampant in my brain. It's been having difficulty concentrating on my job, being present in conversations, and even caring about myself in general. I've been irritable and tired.  I just haven't been myself and because I don't know what the real issue is I don't know what to do to bring myself back. I'm stuck. I'm full of doubt and worry and none of it is worth the time I spend thinkin

Whatever Happened to Respect?

I've been thinking a lot lately. Shocker, I know. A friend of mine reached out to me a few months ago about my blog. He talked to me about how he had been tossing around the idea of starting a blog. I asked him what he wanted to write about. His reply really shocked me. He told me he often keeps his opinions to himself and is a "people pleaser" during conversations to avoid any arguments or disagreements between him and his friends. He told me that if his friends knew what his real thoughts and feelings on different topics were they would be really surprised. I was shocked! I didn't think he was one to just go with the crowd. I explained to him that I thought that was a great thing to write about and how I have worked my way out of being that same way. We talked about how keeping our mouth shut doesn't do any good in the long run and eventually it starts to really wear on a person to feel like they can never voice their opinion without feeling like your friends wi

i Don't Know How To Do This

Grieving is not something I have ever been good at. It's not that I haven't suffered any loss in my life, because there has certainly been plenty (even one loss is plenty, honestly) it's something else that I can't quite put my finger on. I am fortunate in that I haven't lost a person in my life, in the sense that they are no longer physically alive, in quite a few years. The last people I did lose were older relatives, which I think is different than someone you were close to on a work and personal level. So, here I am trying to figure out how to grieve the very sudden and even more tragic loss of the closest co worker I've probably ever had in Austin. And I don't know how to grieve her loss. She was in a tragic accident on Sunday, and her name was released yesterday afternoon. It was her and her daughter in her vehicle and neither of them survived. Christa was such a bright and happy person. Sure she was 20 years older than me but our connection was perf