Skip to main content

Do (n't). Ask. Me.

I've been getting asked a really annoying and hurtful question a lot lately. "Do you ever have any good days?" I've been down this road before with people, and I am learning how to tell if the person asking me is doing so out of a caring place, or if they are asking that out of a place of hate. Usually I feel like it comes from a negative place, maybe hate isn't the right word. It's really a hurtful thing to be asked that question. I understand that many people don't realize this when they ask it, but I have come to believe than many times this question is asked with the intent to hurt.

Asking me "Do you ever have any good days?" reinforces so many of the negative thoughts I have towards myself. It makes me stop and ask myself if I do, in fact, ever have a good day? It immediately discounts any amount of good that may have happened that day, or the day before even. I am trying to get better at not labeling my days as good or bad and it's hard to do that when people's perceptions of how you respond to a simple question inquiring how you are result in every day being a bad day. For me it's not an easy bounce back after that question is presented to me. I also never know how to answer it. If I say no then I'll get some unsolicited advice. If I say yes do I have to justify my answer? And why does this, what to most seems like a simple question, have to take such a toll on me? I will say that at times I am able to brush it off, or laugh and reply with some sarcasm to my tone. That's if I am in a good place at the time. I wish I could say that happens more often.

I know there are stories and articles and lists out there explaining what people with a mental health diagnosis mean when they say "I'm tired", or "I'm fine". Some of those articles are better than others at really getting to the point of why some of us use those generic phrases to respond. Some of them just give a list of reasons why someone may use that response. I'll tell you why I say those two phrases all too often. When I say something so generic and surface level like "I'm fine", or "I'm okay", its because I can tell the person asking me that really doesn't care how I am. They don't want to have an actual conversation with me regarding HOW I am, because that would mean listening to me, or God forbid, having a conversation! So, the way to give that person an out is to just say I'm fine, okay, good, etc etc and not use any descriptors beyond that. If I say something like anxious, sad, fatigued, any real feelings for that matter, people feel forced to ask the follow up question, which, you guessed it, is "what's wrong?". The cycle of them not REALLY caring continues, and I end up feeling ignored or misunderstood in the end. Misunderstand more often than ignored, which is probably worse. It's not that I don't want to have these conversations with people and tell them how I am or what is going on, but when it's a forced conversation that typically one sided it's a lot of wasted energy. When I say I'm tired there's a good chance I am referring to being stuck. Not knowing exactly what I am. Tired of fighting daily battles in my head. Tired of being let down. Tired of the same day to day shit. Tired of feeling negative emotions. Tired of trying so damn hard to fake it until I make it. Tired of several things.

I realize this all relates back to a lot of my own insecurities and it is something I continue to work on. What I wish, and feel would make me feel much better about my relationships with people, is if those questions and conversations came out of a place of love and compassion. Maybe even some empathy. So please, if you are going to ask me how I am, ask it with sincerity. If you are asking out of feeling some sort of obligation, ask a different question instead. If you really are curious about how many good vs, bad days I have, ask in a more personable manner.  It's not so much to ask, is it?



                            Note to Self: Smile, pause and simply ask for some clarity when you get lost in the fast story.. and need for her to kinda explain who he and she and they.. is. : )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost.

Life lately has been hard. I had a rough week and it seems to have carried through the weekend as well. I hate to even admit that because I'm trying to make some changes in my brain. I'm trying to hammer out what a bad day really is. I'm trying to learn what makes a bad day in Meghan's world. I've been down on myself lately and I don't even understand why. Nothing has changed. My anxiety is constant and I feel like I don't even remember what it's like to not be hyper vigilant. I am in this state of constant worry with "what ifs" running rampant in my brain. It's been having difficulty concentrating on my job, being present in conversations, and even caring about myself in general. I've been irritable and tired.  I just haven't been myself and because I don't know what the real issue is I don't know what to do to bring myself back. I'm stuck. I'm full of doubt and worry and none of it is worth the time I spend thinkin

Whatever Happened to Respect?

I've been thinking a lot lately. Shocker, I know. A friend of mine reached out to me a few months ago about my blog. He talked to me about how he had been tossing around the idea of starting a blog. I asked him what he wanted to write about. His reply really shocked me. He told me he often keeps his opinions to himself and is a "people pleaser" during conversations to avoid any arguments or disagreements between him and his friends. He told me that if his friends knew what his real thoughts and feelings on different topics were they would be really surprised. I was shocked! I didn't think he was one to just go with the crowd. I explained to him that I thought that was a great thing to write about and how I have worked my way out of being that same way. We talked about how keeping our mouth shut doesn't do any good in the long run and eventually it starts to really wear on a person to feel like they can never voice their opinion without feeling like your friends wi

i Don't Know How To Do This

Grieving is not something I have ever been good at. It's not that I haven't suffered any loss in my life, because there has certainly been plenty (even one loss is plenty, honestly) it's something else that I can't quite put my finger on. I am fortunate in that I haven't lost a person in my life, in the sense that they are no longer physically alive, in quite a few years. The last people I did lose were older relatives, which I think is different than someone you were close to on a work and personal level. So, here I am trying to figure out how to grieve the very sudden and even more tragic loss of the closest co worker I've probably ever had in Austin. And I don't know how to grieve her loss. She was in a tragic accident on Sunday, and her name was released yesterday afternoon. It was her and her daughter in her vehicle and neither of them survived. Christa was such a bright and happy person. Sure she was 20 years older than me but our connection was perf