Skip to main content

You Have NO idea.

Those whom I call family:

It's never been a secret that I live with mental illness. I've never lied when asked if I felt depressed. I've never pretended to be okay. I was in a hospital at age 18 after attempting suicide and some of you visited me, but then it was never talked about again. I don't sit around and talk about my anxiety disorder unless it's the right time and place in a conversation. That doesn't down play or erase the fact that it is part of my every (single) day life. It also doesn't mean that you can't ask me directly if you have a question. I know most people are under educated about mental health and mental illness such as anxiety and depression, but that's not my fault. I didn't wake up one day and label myself as an anxious mess, this diagnosis has been with me my entire adult life. And I'm okay with it, so you should be too. I am not weird, I am not unstable, I am of no cause for concern. Not anymore than anyone else is. I hate that there is a stigma to mental illness, that just because I have Anxiety Disorder I am somehow "not okay" or "strange" or "weird". I'm not normal by any means, but who is?! I am 29 years old and more successful in life than I could've ever predicted for myself. I have some very bad days, but that doesn't make it a bad life. I am functioning in this crazy world just as well as the person next door is, and maybe even better. I don't like that it gets talked about behind my back. I don't like that anyone has to be uncomfortable around me. You never knew before and treated me like nothing was wrong, so there is no need to change and start treating me differently. I don't have the plague, I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and I always will.

I have panic attacks, I have nightmares that lead to anxiety attacks, I have days I can't get out of bed, I cry for no reason, I yell and I am selfish at times. I don't like crowds, I hate last minuet plans, I lie to avoid plans, I bail on friends, I feel left out often. I don't trust anyone, I make mistakes, I have a terrible self imagine most of the time. I'm sensitive and get my feelings hurt easily. I laugh and I giggle and I smile and I tell jokes and I have FUN. Because I am not my diagnosis. I am happy.

I'm hard enough on myself without added (external) influence. Next time you have a question, ask me. Don't call my mom. Don't call my dad. Don't sit around and talk about me.  Read my last 55 blog posts, do some research, and check your level of understanding when it comes to mental illness. Because my feelings are hurt and it takes a lot to fix that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RUDE

I've been in a pretty dark spot lately. Not the darkest I've ever been but definitely darker than I feel is comfortable or normal. I haven't been sleeping the best which I think is adding to this darkness. I just can't seem to stop my mind from running circles in my head. I can't stop worrying, even though I have no idea what I am worried about. And I am pissed off. I'm pissed off because people are so fucking rude, and mean. I'm pissed off because I put so much time and energy into friendships when I have one that is a two way street. I am pissed off because some people have NO idea what the real world is, what life REALLY is, and how to treat people, especially strangers. I would never, ever, EVER say the things to other people that I have had said to me. I would never find out about a problem or illness a friend or relative had and completely cut off all contact and act as if I was never their friend to begin with. I'm pissed off because some people...

Compassion [Fatigue]

What is Compassion Fatigue? Is it real? Or is it some made up condition? I had a rough week last week where I was so emotionally dis regulated from running a gamut of up and down emotions. The good news is I was able to shake it off and enjoy my weekend full of activities. On Monday it all came to head and I was angry, tired, and realized I had a case of the "fuck its." I was sitting in my car before a meeting, listening to some music, and realized that I just simply do not care anymore. I don't have any shits to give about anyone, myself included. I started recounting the past few weeks of life and that is when Compassion Fatigue came to mind. I was exhausted/fatigued, and I didn't care. Surely I wasn't crazy for thinking this was a thing, was I? So, I did what normal people do and I took to Google. Here is what I found. "Studies confirm that caregivers play host to a high level of compassion fatigue. Day in, day out, workers struggle to function in care...

Weighted Blankets and Floor Beds and Jesus Music

Two hours ago I was almost asleep. Something woke me up and now here I am. Fighting the anxiety that is keeping me awake. I attempted my usual go to of getting my headphones and turning on my Jesus Music. After tossing and turning for an hour I got up and moved to the couch. I wasn't able to get comfortable there and my anxiety was only getting worse, so I went to the last resort, I made a floor bed. I gathered pillows and blankets and crawled underneath my newest anti anxiety tool. A weighted blanket. I have been wanting one for quite some time but they are so spendy that I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money. I had a guilty conscience about wanting to buy something so expensive when I already spend a lot of money going to therapy, buying coloring books, headphones that drown out the sound, the right clothes that help me maintain a steady body heat, and so many other little things that add up. A couple of weeks ago something told me to check eBay and I found one that...