Skip to main content

Why Can't I Be Normal?

I am constantly learning what my triggers are and trying to learn self calming techniques to prevent those triggers from throwing me into complete panic. Over the past two or three months I started having panic attacks every time I go grocery shopping by myself. The first time it happened to me I had no idea what was happening. I was just trucking along and out of nowhere panic came over me and I had to stop what I was doing to breath and try to collect myself. That has NEVER happened to me in the grocery store before. I've always found grocery shopping by myself to be calming for some reason. That day in the store I was about to leave my cart full of food right where it was and run out the doors as fast as I could, but I didn't. I am pretty sure I said "Meghan, you are fine" out loud in the middle of the aisle. I went to the checkout and tried to get out of there as fast as possible. I'm pretty sure the check out boy couldn't have gone any slower, which didn't help matters. I thought it was just a fluke that it had happened and maybe something happened earlier in the day to trigger it. But then it happened the next week, at a different store. And then it happened at TARGET. That's when I knew it was more than just a coincidence or a fluke. I don't know if it's because I haven't found my regular grocery store, since all of them are about the same distance away, or if I simply just can't handle the size of grocery stores here...(everything IS bigger in Texas!) but I have tried a variety of things. I go with a list, I skip aisles that don't have anything I need in them (I used to go up and down every aisle just to get some extra walking in), I have started in produce and worked up and down aisles that way and vice versa. I don't stop and debate on brand names or product, or flavors like I tend to do. I rarely read labels anymore, and I don't go back if I forgot something. Nothing really makes it better or worse. I plan the day I'm going and that helps a little bit. I know the obvious answer is to bring Matthew with, but with our work schedules not exactly lining up all of the time it usually is easier for me to go alone rather than both of us getting home from work and then going. If that was as simple as it sounds, I would never go away....but it just don't make sense unless we go on a weekend. Today I went to the store on my way home from work, with a short list, knowing I had nothing to eat when I got home. I did pretty well because it was a smaller store. I had been there once before so I knew the layout and skipped the aisles I didn't need to go down. I got out of there in the nick of them. But, when I was driving down a panic attack came over me and literally took my breath away. The only thing I can think of for that one is different routine.

When this was all going down and I was slowly reaching the last mile before my exit all I could think of was "Why can't I be normal?!" I think this often, I ask Matthew this often, I say it more than I probably realize. Why can't I be normal? What is normal anyways? Is anybody normal? I guess there is a norm, and some people fall into that, but typically...no. So what exactly do I mean when I say that? I have no idea, really. I don't know what it's like to not live this life with anxiety. I know at some point I lived that life, but it was so long ago that I don't remember it. And even though I wasn't living my life constantly being anxious with a brain on over drive, I was depressed.

When I say I want to be normal I mean I want to be able to do day to day activities without anxiety taking over. I want to go to events and activities that I know will be crowded without being afraid of a full on meltdown. I want to enjoy my amazing days without believing that the next day is going to be terrible. I want to live in the now without thinking about what's next. I want to deviate from a routine without needing a warning. I never want to cancel plans because anxiety just won't let me leave my house. I want to be tired because I did something fun and exciting, not because I had so many anxiety attacks that I am exhausted from fighting through them. I want to stop telling myself that everyone is out to hurt me, on purpose. I want to tell myself a hundred true things instead of filling my brain with a hundred lies.  I don't want to spend days in my bed hoping the monsters will leave soon. I don't want to isolate my husband because it's not his fault. There are so many things I wish to be differently. I want to be normal. But in the mean time I will continue to fight this fight and  become stronger doing so. I don't ever feel ashamed of having this disease, but that doesn't mean I don't wish it to go away on days that I just can't take anymore.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost.

Life lately has been hard. I had a rough week and it seems to have carried through the weekend as well. I hate to even admit that because I'm trying to make some changes in my brain. I'm trying to hammer out what a bad day really is. I'm trying to learn what makes a bad day in Meghan's world. I've been down on myself lately and I don't even understand why. Nothing has changed. My anxiety is constant and I feel like I don't even remember what it's like to not be hyper vigilant. I am in this state of constant worry with "what ifs" running rampant in my brain. It's been having difficulty concentrating on my job, being present in conversations, and even caring about myself in general. I've been irritable and tired.  I just haven't been myself and because I don't know what the real issue is I don't know what to do to bring myself back. I'm stuck. I'm full of doubt and worry and none of it is worth the time I spend thinkin

Whatever Happened to Respect?

I've been thinking a lot lately. Shocker, I know. A friend of mine reached out to me a few months ago about my blog. He talked to me about how he had been tossing around the idea of starting a blog. I asked him what he wanted to write about. His reply really shocked me. He told me he often keeps his opinions to himself and is a "people pleaser" during conversations to avoid any arguments or disagreements between him and his friends. He told me that if his friends knew what his real thoughts and feelings on different topics were they would be really surprised. I was shocked! I didn't think he was one to just go with the crowd. I explained to him that I thought that was a great thing to write about and how I have worked my way out of being that same way. We talked about how keeping our mouth shut doesn't do any good in the long run and eventually it starts to really wear on a person to feel like they can never voice their opinion without feeling like your friends wi

i Don't Know How To Do This

Grieving is not something I have ever been good at. It's not that I haven't suffered any loss in my life, because there has certainly been plenty (even one loss is plenty, honestly) it's something else that I can't quite put my finger on. I am fortunate in that I haven't lost a person in my life, in the sense that they are no longer physically alive, in quite a few years. The last people I did lose were older relatives, which I think is different than someone you were close to on a work and personal level. So, here I am trying to figure out how to grieve the very sudden and even more tragic loss of the closest co worker I've probably ever had in Austin. And I don't know how to grieve her loss. She was in a tragic accident on Sunday, and her name was released yesterday afternoon. It was her and her daughter in her vehicle and neither of them survived. Christa was such a bright and happy person. Sure she was 20 years older than me but our connection was perf