Skip to main content

Keep Holding On

I have been struggling a lot lately. I have had some pretty intense emotions recently including a lot of anxiety and feeling quite depressed. I've also had some great moments of happiness and laughter. Everyday is different. My anxiety picks different battles with me each and every day and there is no way that I can prepare for that. Sometimes those battles are minor and I can brush them off with a stern "fuck you anxiety" and carry on with my day. Other times anxiety wins and I throw in the towel by noon. When that happens the rest of the day is a wash. I go through the motions, but I don't usually feel accomplished. I don't like that I have to give up my entire day to anxiety. I also don't like how my anxiety turns me into my own worst enemy. Some days it leaves me with an overwhelming feeling of not being good enough. Other days it convinces me that nobody likes me and I am intentionally left out and forgotten about. Other times I feel completely suffocated, as if I am underwater with the pressure of hundreds of feet of water crushing me. I do all I can to swim to the surface and when I get that gasp of air I want to hold on to any piece of reality that I can grasp. I know that reality won't last very long though, it never does.


What I have to remember, and it isn't always easy, is that some days really are much better than others. I need to remember that it is okay to have bad days and to do nothing more than get up and show up. It's okay to be mad, and sad, and scared. It's okay to cry when someone hurts me with their words even if I am 30 years old. It's okay to stand up for myself and tell others how they have made me feel even if they don't understand how much hurt they may have caused.


I don't like that I never know what emotions and thoughts the day will bring me each morning when I wake up. I know I have a toolbox of coping strategies to use even if I don't think I have the energy to utilize them. I don't like living in a constant state of anxiety that is always in the background of everything I say or do. It's a heavy burden I carry and sometimes I fail to see how strong it has made me. On the days I don't feel strong and I want to let go, I keep holding on.




Quote on mental health: My dark days made me strong. Or maybe I already was strong, and they made me prove it - Emery Lord. www.HealthyPlace.com:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RUDE

I've been in a pretty dark spot lately. Not the darkest I've ever been but definitely darker than I feel is comfortable or normal. I haven't been sleeping the best which I think is adding to this darkness. I just can't seem to stop my mind from running circles in my head. I can't stop worrying, even though I have no idea what I am worried about. And I am pissed off. I'm pissed off because people are so fucking rude, and mean. I'm pissed off because I put so much time and energy into friendships when I have one that is a two way street. I am pissed off because some people have NO idea what the real world is, what life REALLY is, and how to treat people, especially strangers. I would never, ever, EVER say the things to other people that I have had said to me. I would never find out about a problem or illness a friend or relative had and completely cut off all contact and act as if I was never their friend to begin with. I'm pissed off because some people...

Compassion [Fatigue]

What is Compassion Fatigue? Is it real? Or is it some made up condition? I had a rough week last week where I was so emotionally dis regulated from running a gamut of up and down emotions. The good news is I was able to shake it off and enjoy my weekend full of activities. On Monday it all came to head and I was angry, tired, and realized I had a case of the "fuck its." I was sitting in my car before a meeting, listening to some music, and realized that I just simply do not care anymore. I don't have any shits to give about anyone, myself included. I started recounting the past few weeks of life and that is when Compassion Fatigue came to mind. I was exhausted/fatigued, and I didn't care. Surely I wasn't crazy for thinking this was a thing, was I? So, I did what normal people do and I took to Google. Here is what I found. "Studies confirm that caregivers play host to a high level of compassion fatigue. Day in, day out, workers struggle to function in care...

Weighted Blankets and Floor Beds and Jesus Music

Two hours ago I was almost asleep. Something woke me up and now here I am. Fighting the anxiety that is keeping me awake. I attempted my usual go to of getting my headphones and turning on my Jesus Music. After tossing and turning for an hour I got up and moved to the couch. I wasn't able to get comfortable there and my anxiety was only getting worse, so I went to the last resort, I made a floor bed. I gathered pillows and blankets and crawled underneath my newest anti anxiety tool. A weighted blanket. I have been wanting one for quite some time but they are so spendy that I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money. I had a guilty conscience about wanting to buy something so expensive when I already spend a lot of money going to therapy, buying coloring books, headphones that drown out the sound, the right clothes that help me maintain a steady body heat, and so many other little things that add up. A couple of weeks ago something told me to check eBay and I found one that...